Is everything going as planned? (video)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerAbs

Reaction score
I brewed beer late on the 9th going into the morning of the 10th. After about 24 hours my airlock looked like this. And also I'm not quite sure why the sanitized water in the airlock turned brown, I'm not to worried about it.

Now 3ish days later its bubbling around once every 15 seconds. Am I on track to successful beer?

Last edited by a moderator:
Probably an aggresive fermentation and a bit of the krausen got into your airlock. I dont think anything to worry about.

Probably an aggresive fermentation and a bit of the krausen got into your airlock. I dont think anything to worry about.

Thats what I was thinking. I was mainly concerned about how fast my fermenting slowed down. After 24 hours it was vigorous for about 24 more hours. Then quickly went from a bubble every 12 seconds to a bubble every 15. Ive read that a hydrometer reading will tell its done or one bubble a minute its done. So which one is it? At this rate, how will my MidwestSupplies kit, Black Dog Ale, takes 5 weeks from start to finish?

I would wait at least a week and a half before even thinking about taking a hydro reading, which is what you should go by. The airlock shouldnt be used to tell when a fermentation is done. But when you take a hydro reading and it is the same for 3 days in a row will tell you when its ready.

What kind of samitizer did you use ? Iodophor will be the color in the video. I don't know if I think that is Krausen as the airlock looks really clean a Krausen usually leaves other signs of debris like hops or proteins thy leave a "slime" trail behind. I noticed that the lid of the bucket had a few drops of liquid that were the same color as your airlock on it. Did you happen to lift the bucket and move it ? You could have created pressure and sucked wort back up into the airlock though 99 % of the time it usually sucks the airlock into the wort. Hmmmm

Back