Is dis nice ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

OP
Merz69

Merz69

Reaction score
Though I did not listen to the advice on my beginner equipment questions. I bought a starter kit from Morebeer ! Awesome cust service ! Then I bought a scratch and dent freezer for temp control. Then I bought 4 cornys (on sale for $40 ea). I then found a kegerator on marketplace for $150 (came with a co2 tank, regulator, 2 faucet tower - one of which is a Perlic. Found a guy that gave us like 7 cases of empty bottles for free :). Now I see a guy selling glass carboys for like $10 ea for 3 :)
I’m a junkie ;)

Reaction score
Though I did not listen to the advice on my beginner equipment questions. I bought a starter kit from Morebeer ! Awesome cust service ! Then I bought a scratch and dent freezer for temp control. Then I bought 4 cornys (on sale for $40 ea). I then found a kegerator on marketplace for $150 (came with a co2 tank, regulator, 2 faucet tower - one of which is a Perlic. Found a guy that gave us like 7 cases of empty bottles for free :). Now I see a guy selling glass carboys for like $10 ea for 3 :)
I’m a junkie ;)
I'd suggest skipping the glass carboys.

OP
Merz69

Merz69

Reaction score
I was thinking of getting them for long secondary aging ? Free up my fermenters to keep batches rolling ? No good ?

MaxStout

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
If you're using carboys as secondary fermenters only to free up primary fermenters, just get another vessel for primary fermentation to switch back and forth if you're cranking out a lot of brews. There are few times you really need a secondary fermenter anyway.

I used to be a big fan of glass carboys, used them for years. Luckily, I never broke one and I still have all my appendages, which is probably due as much to luck as to diligence. Those big glass jugs demand respect. The only thing I use glass carboys for now is the rare time I need to bulk-age a big beer for many months. (Glass is impervious to O2 ingress.) And I keep the carboy in a plastic milk crate.

OP
Merz69

Merz69

Reaction score
“However, you can read all of that tomorrow while your beer is fermenting. Let’s get started !”

Knightshade

<Insert Snarky Comment Here>
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I stayed away from carboys after reading too many horror stories. I acknowledge that some have never had any issue but it seems like too much of a when, not if.

I’ll also not admit to not completely reading through How To Brew cover to cover. I read to 24, then skimmed the rest. I def refer back to various sections quite often tho.

MaxStout

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I stayed away from carboys after reading too many horror stories. I acknowledge that some have never had any issue but it seems like too much of a when, not if.

I’ll also not admit to not completely reading through How To Brew cover to cover. I read to 24, then skimmed the rest. I def refer back to various sections quite often tho.
Mine's always been more of a reference. If I would have a question about something, I'd look it up, then mark the crap out of the salient points with a highlighter.

bwible

I drink, and I know things
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I use these online calculators. Have them bookmarked. Just too easy.

Priming Sugar Calculator:

ABV Calculator:

Hydrometer Temp Correction Calculator:

Civilian

Reaction score
Guess what came today ?
Great place to start, how many chapters did you read in the last 24 hours?
I use these online calculators. Have them bookmarked. Just too easy.
Thanks, those are bookmarked.

I used to be a big fan of glass carboys, used them for years. Luckily, I never broke one and I still have all my appendages, which is probably due as much to luck as to diligence. Those big glass jugs demand respect. The only thing I use glass carboys for now is the rare time I need to bulk-age a big beer for many months. (Glass is impervious to O2 ingress.) And I keep the carboy in a plastic milk crate.
LOL I "fought" my mother in law a few years ago for 2 carboys that we had, so now I feel obligated to use them for fermentation. Fortunately they come with a wood crate around them.

OP
Merz69

Merz69

Reaction score
Dis book is def methodical ! So much info - I can see it being used as a reference and I’ll prolly be digging back in all the time :). Tons of info in here !

OP
Merz69

Merz69

Reaction score
Brewing beer is … well … science ! Chemistry ! Mathematical calculations !!

anyone interested in some brewing equipment ?

lol. J/k - lot of stuff in this book that is not necessary for a new brewer to read - will be useful later.

Homebrew Harry

Reaction score
... Now I see a guy selling glass carboys for like $10 ea for 3 :)
I’m a junkie ;)
Yes, good deals are addicting. I would get those carboys. Like you said, they are great for bulk aging. A must if you make must :)

OP
Merz69

Merz69

Reaction score
Jammin through the chapters. Up to Lagers. John is an awesome dude !