Is copper pipe foodgrade ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

walther

Reaction score
Just wondering if the copper pipe you buy in a hardware store is foodgrade at boiling temperatures?

There are hundreds of different stainless steel types, is it the same for copper?

cheers,
walther

I am pretty sure different grades of stainless steel are just different in their corrosion resistance, and workability (welding, bending)

Copper is copper since it is an element on the periodic table.

Go with it-I've been using a copper wort chiller for years, as I'm sure many others have been.

All above is correct- and home-brewers typically use "Refrigeration" grade copper- which just means that it is softer, and thus easy to work with when bending it into whatever position is needed.
And- not to state the obvious- but it needs to be properly cleaned and sanitized prior to touching any cooled wort.
Just in case it's needed- Coppertubingsales.com has the best prices and great shipping.

Ok, thank you for all the replies

I was just wondering since you sometimes read things like "special type copper", or refrigeration-grade as above. If the different types are made by addition of other metals, I would like to know which ones :)

Also hot water is one thing, boiling acidic sugar may be another? I dont know,... But I will probably use copper like every one else.

Cheers,
walther

Different copper types are the results of processing, not composition. The types vary by thickness and whether or not they have been annealed (to soften it) after drawing.

Copper was the metal of choice in brewing until stainless steel became widely available. SS is much easier to clean in place, because it can handle caustic chemicals. Wort is not caustic.

It is important to keep your copper clean, as the verdigris will dissolve in acid worts and make for off flavors.

Ok, thank you for all the replies

I was just wondering since you sometimes read things like "special type copper", or refrigeration-grade as above. If the different types are made by addition of other metals, I would like to know which ones :)

Also hot water is one thing, boiling acidic sugar may be another? I dont know,... But I will probably use copper like every one else.

Cheers,
walther

Many of the world's finest whiskies are made in copper pots, and have been for quite some time. I do not fear the copper.

Back