Is brewing software out of my league?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HotTrailerBrew

Reaction score
Hi. I'm a newb with just a couple extract batches under my belt with plans to try small 1gal. PM batches. I'm wondering if brewing software is something I don't need to involve myself in yet. Since i'm new to this and don't understand much should i just concentrate on making my smaller batches and make what tastes good to me? Or would you suggest that I download a trial version and enter my test batch recipes to start learning? Thanks

Personally, I learned a LOT about brewing by messing around with BeerSmith. It was a big help in shifting to PM and finally all-grain brewing. While it's no substitute for actual experience, it's great to have a "drawing board" where you can outline your recipes and get some idea of how changing ingredients and methods will impact the final results.

By all means, try the free trial.

I'd add, try the free trial of BeerTools Pro as well.

You might want to download the free trial of one or the other and play with it for a while, then download the trial of the other one a little later. You only get a certain number of days of full functionality before you have to decide whether or not to buy it.

ok, i'll give it a shot. Just curious, if i put in all my data with one of these programs will it tell me what kinda style it would most likely be?

If anything I would think of it the other way around. NOT using software is out of my league. I don't know all of those equations for figuring temps and volumes and IBUs and OG/FG.

If anything I would think of it the other way around. NOT using software is out of my league. I don't know all of those equations for figuring temps and volumes and IBUs and OG/FG.

I was studying the math a bit yesterday. I think it would actually be great to learn it just because I could do recipes at work, or while travelling.

But right now I use Beer Tools. I just need to get motivated and watch Bobby_M's videos so I can use it to it's full potential.

It won't tell you what style it should be, but if you choose the style you're aiming for, it'll tell you what specs are in line and out of line for that style.

Beertoolspro will show you how "in range" you are for a particular style based on a few attributes like OG, Color, IBU, and ABV (based on assumed attenuation). It does not consider flavors though nor wort fermentability based on what ingredients or mash temps it uses. There is really no magic bullet for recipe creation but it will give you tools to work with.

I probably learned the most about brewing and recipe creation, and how different ingredients interact by playing around with software. Entering recipes from here or the ingredient lists from the kits I was brewing, things in magazines and books.

I started out with the free online calculator Beer Calculus . homebrew recipe calculator it's very easy to use, very intuitive, and doesn't require setting up a bunch of stuff ahead of time like in Beersmith (which I now use)

Beercalculus is great for extract and partial mash brewers since you don't need a bunch of farameters setup tp brew.

Back when I was learning this stuff, beercalculus didn't allow for saving recipes...Now they have a whole archive of everyone's recipes including your own on the Hopville side.

It really upped my learning curve hugely when I started messing with software.

I was studying the math a bit yesterday. I think it would actually be great to learn it just because I could do recipes at work, or while travelling.

But right now I use Beer Tools. I just need to get motivated and watch Bobby_M's videos so I can use it to it's full potential.

It would be nice to know them, but maybe someday.
[sarccasm]I went ahead and picked up one those portable laptops when I got mine though so work time/travel time is no big deal :)[/sarcasm] I actually do all my beer planning at work on my laptop, then take it home on the weekend for brewing.

I don't know the equations either, and don't feel the need to. After awhile, you're going to learn what certain ingredients are going to do to your beer without the math, and the software will pinpoint it for you.

The software is designed to be useful to brewers of all skill levels, so it is definitely not out of your league. It is a fantastic learning tool.

Granted I started out doing All Grain, I messed around with BeerSmith after my first brew and came up with my first real recipe, which ended up placing 3rd. I don't think I could have done it without software, because I mess with different variable a lot in recipes until I am satisfied. BeerSmith makes it easy to do that. It also helped me understand and get my volumes right. I haven't tried any other software though.

Back