Is any of these a hop plant?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gamesbydime

Reaction score
Hi , 5 weeks ago i bought some seeds and this is the result ! There are 3 different plants but is any of this a hop plant ? Thank you for your response

Attachments

• 20210418_125028.jpg
    20210418_125028.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 81
  • 20210418_125014.jpg
    20210418_125014.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 79
Yeah i bought them from a legit site. And the seeds where hops. I tried low temperatures for the germination and i planted some also eith room temperatures to see if there is a difference. So far i got only these from the cold germination method .. and i hope one of those is hop :)))

Nope, those aren't hops. The seeds are a little smaller than pot seeds, anywhere from half to about 3/4 the size. Different varieties seem to produce different sized seeds also. Your germination percentage goes from about 0% to 70-90% after cold and damp treatment for 4-8 weeks. This year, a particular cross really threw things off for me by starting to sprout after about only 3 weeks in the fridge. Fortunately there must have just been a bunch of early ones as the others continued to sprout over about the next 4 weeks. The first picture shows a steak knife to give a size reference. seeds sprouting.JPGhop seedlings zex.JPG

Unless you're starting a hop breeding program, it's a better idea to grow known cultivars from rhizomes (root cuttings) instead of seeds.
Seeds will be male and female and having male hop plants around will pollinate the female hops, producing seeds (undesirable).

Nope, those aren't hops. The seeds are a little smaller than pot seeds, anywhere from half to about 3/4 the size. Different varieties seem to produce different sized seeds also. Your germination percentage goes from about 0% to 70-90% after cold and damp treatment for 4-8 weeks. This year, a particular cross really threw things off for me by starting to sprout after about only 3 weeks in the fridge. Fortunately there must have just been a bunch of early ones as the others continued to sprout over about the next 4 weeks. The first picture shows a steak knife to give a size reference. View attachment 726205View attachment 726206
I stand corrected, thank you.

honestly, they could be. they haven't already devolped a rhizome to come back from......but you will have to sex them......

If you live near commercial hop farmers or other people that grow hops for homebrew, they will appreciate it if you kill the males. It's just the same as for cannabis. One male plant will ruin the crops for your whole neighborhood.

I've brewed with whole cone hops that have been seeded for my entire career (1987-ish) and have had no problems with flavor. The big issue is oxidation of the oils in the seeds when they are run through the pellet mill.

Back