is an acid blend in a hot and spicy mead needed?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sammykap

Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm brand new to mead making... my first batch of must has been in my primary for all of 10 hours. I'm making a hot and spicy mead, with the heat coming from cinnamon, cayenne powder, and those little red pepper flakes that go on pizzas.

My question is: is an acid blend (which from what i've read is to balance out the sweetness of the honey, like hops do for malt when making a beer) necessary or will the all the pepper and cinnamon be enough to balance out the mead? I've held off on adding the acid for now till the fermentation has finished. When the time comes around when I would add the acid blend the mead is probably going to taste pretty close to lighter fluid, so tasting it probably won't help me figure out if I need the acid or not.

Could anyone who's had experience making a hot mead tell me how adding acid to the recipe will affect the final taste after it's aged a few months?

Back