Is all grain brewing the ultimate goal?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mencken

Reaction score
Hey all. I've now brewed and bottled twice, and am brewing my third in about 2 hours. All three will have been partial mash brews. I'm trying to decide whether to graduate up to all grain for my next batch.

Is all grain better? My understanding is it allows one more flexibility in the recipe, but is the beer itself actually better? Is all grain what brewers should aspire to? Thanks :)

There's a hundred threads asking the same question..

My answer, Making the best beer possible is the ultimate goal..and that is regardless of whether or not it is with extract or all grain...I've tasted (and even made on occasion) just as many crappy beers with all grain as I have tasted or made with extract...

it's not the methodology, it's the brewer that makes a good or bad beer.

the rest of my thought on this topic is here...http://blogs.homebrewtalk.com/Revvy/Why_cant_we_all_get_along/

My ultimate goal is actually using midi-chlorians to ferment my beer instead of yeast.

Sadly, my Lord Vader's RIS (REAL Imperial Stout) is still a work in progress.

/nerd

My ultimate goal is actually using midi-chlorians to ferment my beer instead of yeast.

Sadly, my Lord Vader's RIS (REAL Imperial Stout) is still a work in progress.

/nerd

Yodardwhahb.jpg

/geek

:D

Die, Rebel scum!

I never understood how my wife and I can actually get along. She has a stuffed Yoda adorning her monitor. I have a General Grevous action figure on mine. Silly Rebels.

/mega nerd

My beer improved going all-grain, but I dont think that is a given. There are many great extract brewers. Do what you think is best.

My beer improved going all-grain, but I dont think that is a given. There are many great extract brewers. Do what you think is best.

So true. A good batch of extract is going to be better than a bad batch of AG, and vice versa. Brew what you're comfortable with, and don't try to go out of your price range/experience level/comfort zone just to try and brew a perfect batch.

Edited: See, I can contribute stuff that's on topic too!

To some the ultimate goal is mediocre beer out of a completely automated system. Some the ultimate goal is the cheapest drinkable beer, and some it's the best beer possible from minimal equipment.
(and/or any combination +_ any of those)
I want you to go deep into the woods, with no food or shoes, and find you guiding spirit. He will tell you what you need to know. Then you can have your family's car back. Wait.. what?

For me the goal was a method of making beer that I enjoyed and had almost full control over. For me, that = AG. Your goal may equal something different altogether.

This is a hobby for me, I'll go where I want. I have found extract kits that I love, maybe when I do go to AG I'll still make them. I went from bottling to kegging due to time contraints, I may never go to AG for the same reasons. Have fun!

Very nice write up.
My response. It may help the OP seeing real life thoughts of someone who made the jump for probably the same reasons. because he thought he was suppose to.

My response to revvy's blog:
Wonderful write up. I've had less than stellar results since switching to AG. I did 2 extracts and a PM before switching. I too switched partially to become a REAL brewer. but also because brew day just seemed so Un-Involved. I definitely enjoy a AG brew day more. But is the beer better? Statisically no. I had to dump my 2nd AG attempt which was Ed's Pale so I KNEW it was my process not the recipe. The others have all been either good or drinkable at the least. I have ingredients for a Yoop's Fat Tire coming next week and will be brewing hopefully the weekend of 3-14-09. I'll see how this batch goes. If it turns out good, I'll continue on with my AG life. If it is less than stellar I am thinking about going back to extract and steeping until I start making good batch after good batch. That way I will be for sure that it is not sanitation, water, or fermenting causing my off flavors. Simplifying the process to find issues. I've done a simple 3 gallon extract batch since starting AG and it turned out fine and it was kind of nice to just hang out inside and brew with a buddy while drinking and watching TV and not really have to think about anything.

Die, Rebel scum!

I never understood how my wife and I can actually get along. She has a stuffed Yoda adorning her monitor. I have a General Grevous action figure on mine. Silly Rebels.

/mega nerd

Well, come on, I could TOTALLY picture General Grevous having Yoda stuffed and mounted on his desk.

Back to the topic..

My ultimate goal is to train a bunch of monkeys to do the brewing for me as I stand above on my overseer platform with a large whip. The monkeys would brew a billion liters a year. The beers of course would be full of brain washing drugs that the entire population of the earth is addicted to. Eventually said beer would allow me to take over the planet. Meanwhile my tribes of zombies (uh, the brainwashing drugs don't let you die right away, when you die you become a zombie for a year) will enforce my draconian laws that I put in place, not because we need them, but purely for my own entertainment.....

Uh...er.. you had to ask. I better stop now before I give Cheney any new ideas.

For me the goal was a method of making beer that I enjoyed and had almost full control over. For me, that = AG. Your goal may equal something different altogether.

I think THIS is the best answer to this "tired" question I have ever seen!!!!!! Great way of seeing things. :mug:

Well, come on, I could TOTALLY picture General Grevous having Yoda stuffed and mounted on his desk.

Back to the topic..

My ultimate goal is to train a bunch of monkeys to do the brewing for me as I stand above on my overseer platform with a large whip. The monkeys would brew a billion liters a year. The beers of course would be full of brain washing drugs that the entire population of the earth is addicted to. Eventually said beer would allow me to take over the planet. Meanwhile my tribes of zombies (uh, the brainwashing drugs don't let you die right away, when you die you become a zombie for a year) will enforce my draconian laws that I put in place, not because we need them, but purely for my own entertainment.....

Uh...replace monkeys with Nubile slave girls in schoolgirl outfits, and this is my dream as well... :D

Beer that you love is the ultimate goal. You need to follow your own path. ;)

what the heck was that...I think the gnome is channeling Kwai Chang Caine form Kung Fu. :rockin:

On topic:

I find the AG process more fun and I feel a great satisfaction from doing it. I've only done two batches so far but I've been very happy with both of them. I had a great teacher (BeerCanuck) and a bottomless source of information to fall back on HBT. Get a good teacher brew a couple of batches with them and you'll be very happy with the end result.

All Grain is not necessarily better, but it often is because its usually fresher ingredients for one thing. Plus you have a lot more flexibility about what you can make.

And lets face it, brewing with All Grain is just a lot more fun.

New person here, so I apologize for the very simple question up front.

What is the difference between extract and all grain?

Some people feel AG is the only way to make beer. Typically, they are cheap and have ugly junk.:p

The goal is great beer, exactly the way you like it.

Some people feel AG is the only way to make beer. Typically, they are cheap and have ugly junk.:p

The goal is great beer, exactly the way you like it.

Hey, just becasue I'm to lazy to paint my 500lb over kill brew sculpture doesn't mean it's ugly nor junk! ;)

ANd when you start brewig in quantity those pennys matter!

:D

For me, the ultimate goal is to make great beer, have fun, and learn a lot in the process. So far, all grain has plenty to keep me interested and I've been learning quite a bit. Recipe formulation, mash temps, mash thickness, efficiencies, creating new equipment, etc. All grain brewing IS more complicated, but for me that's a plus. I not only want to brew beer, but this is my hobby, so I like to get involved and immerse myself as much as possible. With extract, there just wasn't enough for me to learn. With all grain, I'll forget stuff before I learn everything....know what I mean?

Back