Is a thermostat control required for kegerator?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kyle6286

Reaction score
I'm hoping to have my kegerator setup ready to go soon and was wondering if it's essential for me to have a thermostat control. My kegerator is a Sanyo, not sure the model, but it has the dial inside that lets me adjust the coolness (1-6). I don't know the temperature inside unless I place a small thermometer in there. Should I buy a thermostat control - a cheap analog one, or can I get buy without one? Thank you!

You don't need one for a kegerator - the dial control is adequate for dispensing purposes. my Sanyo is usually set around 4, which, in my model, equates to around 40-45F.

ArcaneXor said:
You don't need one for a kegerator - the dial control is adequate for dispensing purposes. my Sanyo is usually set around 4, which, in my model, equates to around 40-45F.

Great thanks a lot. You saved me $40 bucks. Now I can spend that on some ingredients!

I have a similar Haier kegerator. The dial works file. To best measure the temperature, find a meat thermometer and stick it in a glass of water in the kegerator. The air temperature will swing as the compressor turns on and off but the keg will stay more consistent. Measuring the temperature of a glass of water will give you a number much closer to the beer temp. Or pour a pint and immediately measure that.

If setting 6 is still too cool, then you will need a separate temperature controller. I barely get by with the dial dangerously close to "off", which gets me about 45F

What I did was I put my brew thermometer in a glass of water in the kegorator. The glass of water ensures that you are getting an average temp reading.

I put it on each setting for about 3-4 hours, then recorded the temperature. I wrote the temp settings on a sticker and stuck it on the back of the kegorator. My kegorator has 1-6 settings on the knob, which equate to 36-58 degrees. Knowing these temps come in especially handy when force carbing, and could also be used if you wanted to lager a beer in the kegorator. I keep mine at about 40 degrees for serving temps.

What I did was I put my brew thermometer in a glass of water in the kegorator. The glass of water ensures that you are getting an average temp reading.

I put it on each setting for about 3-4 hours, then recorded the temperature. I wrote the temp settings on a sticker and stuck it on the back of the kegorator. My kegorator has 1-6 settings on the knob, which equate to 36-58 degrees. Knowing these temps come in especially handy when force carbing, and could also be used if you wanted to lager a beer in the kegorator. I keep mine at about 40 degrees for serving temps.

Great idea, I'll try this out later. Thanks!

If it's just your serving fridge, then temp control isn't all that critical. If you decide to ferment in it, then I'd suggest looking into one.

TheMan said:
If it's just your serving fridge, then temp control isn't all that critical. If you decide to ferment in it, then I'd suggest looking into one.

Yup, strictly a serving fridge, along with storing some yeast. The co2 tank will also be in the fridge and I've heard this makes it more dense so the reading will be slightly higher.

Yup, strictly a serving fridge, along with storing some yeast. The co2 tank will also be in the fridge and I've heard this makes it more dense so the reading will be slightly higher.

Co2 will be more dense meaning it takes up less volume and therefore the reading will be lower. I keep mine in the fridge too and it's always sad seeing the needle move down after filling it up.

Back