Is a SSD check a Taxable

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewBeemer

Reaction score
I finally got awarded SSD i'm 100% disabled by a SSD court judge. Now I must wait a minimum of 120days before the first check arrives. Is the SSD check considered income and must be added to my pension income with both as taxed income?
I'm new to this world of the disabled after fighting for it starving with a family since 10-02, a long battle with the third time a charm. It took a Congressman and a Senator on my side to push it thru.
Thanks in advance. CJ.........

It depends on other income and how much you get. My wife gets disability and every year we do a worksheet that's in the tax book to tell us if and how much of her SS income is taxable. For years, none of it was. But we're making too much now and about 80% of it turned out to be taxable this year.

It depends on other income and how much you get. My wife gets disability and every year we do a worksheet that's in the tax book to tell us if and how much of her SS income is taxable. For years, none of it was. But we're making too much now and about 80% of it turned out to be taxable this year.

Now that's not good news that I wanted to hear.
It's been driving me nuts (maybe that's how I got out on a SSD?)
since my hearing and award was only on 3-26-09. I have other words but respect the members and this forum too much to express my feelings in full. You can guess my words and feelings after fighting them since 02 then my last court room visit door in door out time was only 16 minutes total. A slam dunk with 27 files. The judge was laughting it was that much in my favor. Why the 6 year 10 month wait then? I should of had a goverment job and milked the system instead of busting butt in the construction trade as a electrician.
One friend that was a HS dropout that got his GED and dad's help to work for the city for $110,400 a year. He just retired with I was told 80 or 90% of his regular pay for retirement pay plus free medical and cost of living.
Thanks for the reply, more questions need to be answered. I'll be asking my tax accountant and financial advisor in the near future. The balls rolling now, show me the money.

Now that's not good news that I wanted to hear.
It's been driving me nuts (maybe that's how I got out on a SSD?)
since my hearing and award was only on 3-26-09. I'm just thinking about
what i'll net with my pension increase added because it was reduced until SSD said i'm out. Only then could I get 100% of my pension plus adding SSD for me and the kids. The wife can get here pension
but cut almost in half at 56 vs waiting until 62. that will be another massive problem on which way benefits her and I in the future.
The darn government has it figured out to the last cent in their favor.
I have other words but respect the members and this forum too much to express my feelings in full. You can guess my words and feelings after fighting them since 02 then my last court room visit door in door out time was only 16 minutes total. A slam dunk with 27 files. The judge was laughting it was that much in my favor. Why the 6 year 10 month wait then? I should of had a goverment job and milked the system instead of busting butt in the construction field as a electrician. One friend that was a
HS dropout then got his GED and dad's help to work for the city for $110,400 a year. He just retired with I was told 80 or 90% of his regular pay for retirement pay plus free medical and cost of living.
Thanks for the reply, more questions need to be answered. I'll be asking my tax accountant and financial advisor in the near future. The balls rolling now, show me the money.

I don't know about taxes and not enough about your situation to comment on that but I will comment on government pensions.

Every company I have ever worked for including the current one, and all MAJOR companies, have ceased their pension plans and offered 401k plans and I see the trend continuing. So in light of that I believe it is time for our government to review their ability to maintain their pension plans. These government pension plans are funded by tax dollars of those who do not have pension plans of their own so to me they are unfair. I am still ok with military pension plans though; especially combat positions where people put their lives at danger for our safety.
I have 2 sisters and a brother in law who for worked for the US government (office jobs) and 2 are retired (a couple years now) and the other will be able to soon too, probably next year. I have been working now for 30 years and not even close to retirement and with no pension (unless you count about $25 a month one). Here is the thing. My sisters are only 4 and 7 years older than me! So, one sister retired at about 52 I believe. Her husband retired many years before that but went back to work in the same position as a contractor, more pay, plus pension for about another 5 years.
Me, I plan to retire into a coffin at this rate. :(

These government pension plans are funded by tax dollars of those who do not have pension plans of their own so to me they are unfair.

By that logic, you can say it's unfair that a government employee's paycheck is funded by tax dollars of those who don't have government jobs, so it's unfair. If someone spends their life at a job, works hard and retires, then they deserve their pension.

By that logic, you can say it's unfair that a government employee's paycheck is funded by tax dollars of those who don't have government jobs, so it's unfair. If someone spends their life at a job, works hard and retires, then they deserve their pension.

My sister and brother in law provided a service while they worked, they don't contribute squat now picking out wallpaper for their new kitchen and apparently won't until the day they die. Not the same.

And by your logic then the government should provide PENSIONS to any hard worker in the country, not just government workers.

And by your logic then the government should provide PENSIONS to any hard worker in the country, not just government workers.

Not at all. The government isn't everyone else's employer. What's wrong with an employer offering a retirement program if that employer happens to be the government?

This is turning into a debate forum topic. Sorry about that.

Not at all. The government isn't everyone else's employer. What's wrong with an employer offering a retirement program if that employer happens to be the government?

This is turning into a debate forum topic. Sorry about that.

I know why but like you said this is turning into a debate so I will drop it here. :D

Back