Is a single pack of saflager w34/70 OK for Bohemian Pilsner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alagenchev

Reaction score
I just purchased some stuff online, including a pack of W34/70 before realizing that it's recommended to use two packs of dry yeast for lagers. The problem is, I can't find any homebrew stores in the area that carry it and I'm not very keen on paying yeast + shipping for another pack. How much of an issue is this for brewing Bohemian Pilsner? Should I hold off on brewing one until I have more items to purchase online to combine shipping, or am I fine going ahead?

Let's review the rules of lagers:

1. Pitch cold (40-45F)
2. Ferment cool (48-52F)
3. Pitch massively (2x+ of a well pitched ale)

If you skip any of these, you might as well not even bother using a lager yeast. Might sound harsh, but it is the reality of lager brewing.

So if you are making 5G, either get another pack, or make a big starter using your 1 pack. 2 packs is the minimum for 5G moderate strength lager.

The packs are 11g. I'm OK with making a starter, but I read it's not advised when using dry yeast.

The packs are 11g. I'm OK with making a starter, but I read it's not advised when using dry yeast.

It's typically not advised due to the cost of 1 pack of yeast vs the cost and time of a starter.

There are other reasons too, but in this situation you will do better making a starter with your 1 pack than not making one.

It's 1.75 million cells per milliliter per degree Plato
For a 1.050 gravity wort you need about 414 billion
Do a 1 liter starter and back it up with a 2 liter starter.
Or do a 2.5 gallon batch 🤓

Back