Is a cup too much juice too much for the yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

Dex Pistol

Reaction score
Hello. I'm making 6 gallons apple cider with EC-1118 and nutrient. The way the juice is packaged I have 22.89 litres of juice. 6 gallons is 22.7 litres. Since each packet of EC-1118 is rated up to 6 gallons, would it be better to remove the 0.8 cup of juice extra, or does that small an amount not make a difference?

bracconiere

Jolly Alcoholic
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Well i'm going to try and put your mind at ease, and have fun telling you we're just making alcohol...not explosives or anything....that said....

You'd need a microscope, at least 400x i think, a hemocytometer, some methylene blue to stain dead cells...i learned you need a cover plate for the hemocytometer, because they aren't included...

because i wouldn't know if your yeast packet actually had the cell count of live cells per gram to worry about 3/4 cup of juice! ;)

Just me being playful, and my two cents on the matter!

Welcome! :mug:

edit: some people bitch, just a couple of 'wild' yeast cells get into a batch and grow enough to throw it off! 😜

OP
OP
D

Dex Pistol

Reaction score
Well i'm going to try and put your mind at ease, and have fun telling you we're just making alcohol...not explosives or anything....that said....

You'd need a microscope, at least 400x i think, a hemocytometer, some methylene blue to stain dead cells...i learned you need a cover plate for the hemocytometer, because they aren't included...

because i wouldn't know if your yeast packet actually had the cell count of live cells per gram to worry about 3/4 cup of juice! ;)

Just me being playful, and my two cents on the matter!

Welcome! :mug:

edit: some people bitch, just a couple of 'wild' yeast cells get into a batch and grow enough to throw it off! 😜
Cheers! Since this will be my first ever brew I think I'll use the 3/4 to test OG then chuck it. Next brew I'll get a little more risky