Is a cup too much juice too much for the yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dex Pistol

Reaction score
Hello. I'm making 6 gallons apple cider with EC-1118 and nutrient. The way the juice is packaged I have 22.89 litres of juice. 6 gallons is 22.7 litres. Since each packet of EC-1118 is rated up to 6 gallons, would it be better to remove the 0.8 cup of juice extra, or does that small an amount not make a difference?

Well i'm going to try and put your mind at ease, and have fun telling you we're just making alcohol...not explosives or anything....that said....

You'd need a microscope, at least 400x i think, a hemocytometer, some methylene blue to stain dead cells...i learned you need a cover plate for the hemocytometer, because they aren't included...

because i wouldn't know if your yeast packet actually had the cell count of live cells per gram to worry about 3/4 cup of juice! ;)

Just me being playful, and my two cents on the matter!

Welcome! :mug:

edit: some people *****, just a couple of 'wild' yeast cells get into a batch and grow enough to throw it off! 😜

Well i'm going to try and put your mind at ease, and have fun telling you we're just making alcohol...not explosives or anything....that said....

You'd need a microscope, at least 400x i think, a hemocytometer, some methylene blue to stain dead cells...i learned you need a cover plate for the hemocytometer, because they aren't included...

because i wouldn't know if your yeast packet actually had the cell count of live cells per gram to worry about 3/4 cup of juice! ;)

Just me being playful, and my two cents on the matter!

Welcome! :mug:

edit: some people *****, just a couple of 'wild' yeast cells get into a batch and grow enough to throw it off! 😜
Cheers! Since this will be my first ever brew I think I'll use the 3/4 to test OG then chuck it. Next brew I'll get a little more risky

Back