Is a 3 gallon batch in a 6 gallon carboy bad?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WortHog1242

Reaction score
First post, and I'd first like to say thanks to all the guys who help out here and have the patience to answer redundant questions.
I have a couple.Totally unrelated.
1. Fermenting 3 gallons in a 6 gallon carboy? No harm? or not recommended?

2. I have a 5 gallon bucket that held pickles ( got in from a sub shop). Whats the best way to remove the pickle oder. Vlasic Beer? Not good.

3. Does beer get its character from a longer ferment or bottle conditioning?
I just bottled a Grand Cru belgian (big beer) after 16 days in the fermenter (3 gallons in a 6 gallon ) then bottled. I was wondering if I should have left it in the primary longer before bottling.
Thanks for your help/suggestions

I don't know well for 2, but 1, if its primary ferment its going to be fine, the open area will be filled w/ CO2, and won't be a worry, if you're doing secondary it leaves room for other things like O2 to add off flavors etc. 3. yes primary longer is always good, it lets the yeast clean up and you'll be left w/ a much cleaner tasting beer. Bottle conditioning can clean up a bit of that, but not all of it.

First post, and I'd first like to say thanks to all the guys who help out here and have the patience to answer redundant questions.
I have a couple.Totally unrelated.
1. Fermenting 3 gallons in a 6 gallon carboy? No harm? or not recommended?

2. I have a 5 gallon bucket that held pickles ( got in from a sub shop). Whats the best way to remove the pickle oder. Vlasic Beer? Not good.

3. Does beer get its character from a longer ferment or bottle conditioning?
I just bottled a Grand Cru belgian (big beer) after 16 days in the fermenter (3 gallons in a 6 gallon ) then bottled. I was wondering if I should have left it in the primary longer before bottling.
Thanks for your help/suggestions

1. Fermenting I think is fine. From what I have read its if you secondary it you want to minimize head space to next to none.

2. I would try a baking soda slurry (baking soda with just enough water to make a paste) Then make sure you rinse with really hot water thoroughly. I would then soak with sanitzer.

3. I would think in that case its the aging factor. So age in the bottles should be fine. Some people like to age in a secondary for clarity and flavor melding. I usually just age in bottles. Preference I guess.

as other have stated:

1. Doesnt matter b/c co2 fills the head space.

2. try HO3 (hydrogen Peroxide) and baking soda mixed together and use a soft scrubber.

3. Longer time in the primary is always a good thing. I keep mine in for a 3 week minimum.

1) I have heard that there are people that feel that too much room/head space can be and issue. Me... Never found that to be true.

2) Chuck it. spend the $6 on a new bucket.

3) I feel, Big beers benifit from a little bit of conditioning, esp if really high ABV 12% or so. Takes some of the alcohol harshness away. Although I have heard that conditioning IPA after too long can remove some to the hop note. To each his own.

How did the pickle bucket turn out? I was thinking of grabbing a few for secondary..or maybe just a sanitizer bucket if it cleans out ok.

How did the pickle bucket turn out? I was thinking of grabbing a few for secondary..or maybe just a sanitizer bucket if it cleans out ok.

Baking soda. Scrub sides with a box of the stuff mixed with water, Let sit for a while. Good to go. You could add some lemon juice as well

If you do baking soda and lemon juice you will probably want to do baking soda first, rinse well, then lemon juice. Baking soda is a base, lemon juice is an acid, mix the two and all you get is salt water and C02.

Oxyclean? I picked up container last night to clean up some dirty old Grolsch bottles.

I have a 55 gallon drum I want to clean up also - sorry for the thread highjack, but I was looking for info on proportions for fermenting ead space.

Anyone think 25 gallons fermenting in a 55 gallon container would be an issue?

Back