Is 80F too warm to condition my bottles at?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ridge Runner

Reaction score
Spring has sprung in my hometown!! Mowed the grass this morning for the first time this year, the lake is lined with anglers, and my kitchen closet is 80degF!!! My fermentation temps for my APA(2nd batch) were 68-72 deg. The yeast was a Danstar Nottingham ale yeast. Should i be cooling these bottles? Just bottled Friday. Thanks all. RR :mug:

80 is pretty hot, you can expect some fruity flavors if you condition at those temps. Do you have a basement/downstairs that is a bit cooler? I'd think you'd be best off putting them down there.

Unfortunately, no basement. I could move them to my mother-in-laws basement. one more 80deg day in the forecast and then milder temps. Thought about placing a wet towel over bottles, kinda like a swamp cooler. Certainly will ruin my case boxes but if it saves the brew, who cares!!! These temps are 20deg above average!! Life on the Jet Stream, gotta love it :D . RR

If your primary fermenter is a bucket go buy a plastic bin at any box store (Wally World) and put the fermenter into it. Place cold water in afterwards. Place a couple of water bottles (frozen) in to drop the temp. Add a t-shirt over the fermenter to wick the cold water to reduce the temp.

If you use a carboy get a plastic bin that will fit a milk crate in the bottom. Put the carboy into the crate and the crate into the bin. Repeat the same process as above. :D

I've had problems of overcarbonation from excessive bottle fermenting temps. So, i'd find a cooler place asap. Maybe store them in the fridge until the weather cools even.

I've heard of a trick used in WWII by a soilder. When they'd recieve warm beer, they would chill it by using the following process:

Put beer in wet sock. Stick sock upside down with the tip inside of a water filled canteen. Let sit in sun (or some place where evaporation can take place). As the water evaporates from the sock, the beer cools, and more water is drawn up from the canteen.

Perhaps you can fix this method for your beers. You don't need a drastic change in temperature, so hopefully a modified version of what some soilders did can work for you.

San Jose State University said:
I've heard of a trick used in WWII by a soilder. When they'd recieve warm beer, they would chill it by using the following process:

Put beer in wet sock. Stick sock upside down with the tip inside of a water filled canteen. Let sit in sun (or some place where evaporation can take place). As the water evaporates from the sock, the beer cools, and more water is drawn up from the canteen.

Perhaps you can fix this method for your beers. You don't need a drastic change in temperature, so hopefully a modified version of what some soilders did can work for you.

That is inventive! The evaporative cooling principle works very well in climates with low Relative Humidity. It is easy to make what is known as a 'Swamp Cooler'.

this thread is way helpful. i've been wondering how to deal with the summer heat. better stock up on water bottles to freeze.

In the past, I have had issues with insufficient carbonation in bottles. As such, I always go through, roughly, a 2-week period of "carbonation conditioning" at warmer temps. Essentially, I place a space heater (during the winter) in the guest bedroom, close the door, and leave the cases in there. I test a bottle every 5-7 days, and once it has sufficient carbonation, then I turn off the heater and move them to the basement.

If you don't have a basement, I'd recommend getting yourself a chest freezer and a temp controller. It can be pricey, but it's worth it...then you can do lagers too!

Evan! said:
If you don't have a basement, I'd recommend getting yourself a chest freezer and a temp controller. It can be pricey, but it's worth it...then you can do lagers too!

I'm moving this summer and when I do Bro' I'm there!!:rockin: SWMBO says "you sure do want a garage or a basement, don't you?" Yes Mrs. Santa, Yes I Do!!!;)
Kegerators, Ferm. Coolers, Banjos, and keggles(maybe this FRI) too!!! When it heats up around here I'm thinkin about Belgians or a Wit.

Evan! said:

I'm moving this summer and when I do Bro' I'm there!!:rockin: SWMBO says "you sure do want a garage or a basement, don't you?" Yes Mrs. Santa, Yes I Do!!!;)
Kegerators, Ferm. Coolers, Banjos, and keggles(maybe this FRI) too!!! When it heats up around here I'm thinkin about Belgians or a Hefeweizen.

Back