is 5 weeks in a primary too long?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rebelwillis

Reaction score
I'm making a fat tire clone right now and just found out I have to leave town for the next 3 weeks for work.

Its been in the primary for 2 weeks so far, can I screw it up by leaving it in another 3 weeks or should I rack to a secondary?

Thanks

Only real reason to move it into secondary is to dry-hop it or some other sort of flavoring thing--your yeast will very likely be happy for 5 weeks (and even longer). My first saison waited 6, and turned out amazing...

Nah,don't worry about it. My Burton ale was in primary about that long fermenting out & clearing. As long as the airlock has fluid in it,& temps are reasonably stable,you'll be fine.

Yeah 5 weeks is good. Probably don't need that long of a primary for a amber but it not going to hurt anything at all.

It's not too long. As others have said, you could get it out sooner but there's nothing to worry about it staying in longer. It won't hurt a damn thing.

sounds good.

would yall recommend racking to a secondary for a week or so once I get back or go straight to bottling?

Back