Is 36 hours on a stirplate enough for a starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pixalated

Reaction score
A friend will be joining me for a brew day, and I am not prepared. If I make a starter Thursday night, will it be ready for pitching by Saturday afternoon?

I am not planning to make anything over with OG over 1.060. Should I use dry yeast or two vials of liquid instead of a starter?

I would make the starter Thursday night, let it ferment out (about 24 hours) cover it and throw it in the fridge. You can then decant most of the liquid on Saturday before you brew allowing the remaining slurry to warm up to room temp and pitch it into your wort.

A friend will be joining me for a brew day, and I am not prepared. If I make a starter Thursday night, will it be ready for pitching by Saturday afternoon?

I am not planning to make anything over with OG over 1.060. Should I use dry yeast or two vials of liquid instead of a starter?

you shouldn't need 2 vials of yeast. 1 with a 2L starter should be fine.

Check mrmalty.com. How much you need for the starter or how many packs without a starter also depends on the production date of the yeast.

I ferment my starters on a stirplate for about 18 hours then put them into the fridge so I can decant the liquid.

If pressed for time or the starter is 1L or less I will pitch at high krausen, 12 - 18 hours, without decanting.

Back