Is 1 whole pack of Brett or mixed culture too much for 1 gallon of wort?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shermwormbrew

Reaction score
I want to make a 5 gallon batch of let’s say saison then split it into 5 one gallon jugs and pitch 5 different commercial mixed cultures or select Brett strains packs into each jug. Like 1 pack of Wyeast Roselare into one, 1 pack of Omega All the bretts into one , 1 pack of Bootleg Biology Funk Weapon #3 into another etc... I also want to toss bottle dregs from good sours/brett beers I drink and have access to into some of the same 1 gallon fermenters. I want to start my home sour program this way but I’m just curious if a whole pack of these mixed culture/brett packs mentioned above will be too much for 1 gallon of beer?

It's more than you need but it isn't going to cause harm. It might make more sense to buy two or three max cultures and split each pouch between two jugs. The variance in these blends are not so substantial that you're going to find yourself with five or six completely different beers especially once you start adding dregs to them. A lot of American sour beers (if that's what you're planning to add) are using a lot of the same cultures from the same labs so you'll likely get a lot of the same strains anyway (especially with roeselare).

So I plan on having some with mixed cultures (Brett, pedio,lacto) and some with only Brett and maybe even Brett and lacto only in one. I’m thinking of maybe trying to use some oak cubes as well. I want to start these 5 different jugs and only throw dregs into maybe 2 to see what happens. You answered my question I suppose about 1 pack not being too much. Also from what I’ve heard on the sour hour is that different house cultures from different breweries may have what started out as the typical commercial cultures but those cultures can change over time to become variants of their original selfs. I don’t know much about that but I have heard them talk about the “mutations” if you will. Like how you can adapt lactobacillus to become more hop tolerant over time.

It's more than you need but it isn't going to cause harm. It might make more sense to buy two or three max cultures and split each pouch between two jugs. The variance in these blends are not so substantial that you're going to find yourself with five or six completely different beers especially once you start adding dregs to them. A lot of American sour beers (if that's what you're planning to add) are using a lot of the same cultures from the same labs so you'll likely get a lot of the same strains anyway (especially with roeselare).

Forgot to hit reply

Back