Irregardless

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheezydemon

Reaction score
IS NOT A WORD

Regardless does fine on it's own. Adding the "Irre" for more emphasis makes you a retarded person. No F@%K that, even retarded people don't say "irregardless".

Notate is not a word either. If you say notate instead of note to sound more intelligent, you are actually proving that you are indeed a stupid person.

YOU CAN QUOTATE ME ON THAT.

bradsul said:
That rant could not have ended any betterer. :D

That ending is the mostest funniester thing I've seen in a while.

Someone poo poo in your cheerios this morning, cheezy?

Thanks, Thanks and Yes, and.....

Orientated is not a word either. If it were, then we would say "dis-orientated" instead of disoriented. There are a few exceptions, but that is not one of them!

cheezydemon said:
Notate is not a word either. If you say notate instead of note to sound more intelligent, you are actually proving that you are indeed a stupid person.

notate

One entry found.

notate

Main Entry: no·tate Pronunciation: \ˈnō-ˌtāt\ Function: transitive verb Inflected Form(s): no·tat·ed; no·tat·ing Etymology: back-formation from notation Date: 1903 : to put into notation

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/notate

Were you watching another Bush speech? Sounds like you woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning... and such as, the Iraq.

I hate the word irregardless as well.

I also hate when you're in a meeting and someone say they have one more "Alibi", (meaning something they forgot to mention earlier). Where the heck does this phrase come from....just say "Ohh, one more thing...."

the_bird said:

The times I have heard it used were definitely in error. "The fees are notated here... and here..."

I guess you could notate something if it is in small print at the very bottom of a page, but how often does that come up except when you are writing a text book?

Thanks for pointing it out, but it is still a word that 99.7% of the population would have absolutely no reason to use ever.

Rhoobarb said:
I thought so, too. But alas, it IS a word. Check the Merriam-Webster dictionary.

"Irregardless" is non-standard, but yeah.... it's a word.

Interesting, if you try and look up "fo shizzle," it doesn't find it but instead suggests "fusel" as a possible alternative. So from now on, I will refer to the problem of high fermentation temperatures causing "fo shizzle alcohols".

c.n.budz said:
Hey Cheezy, is this thread going to lead to another apology thread?

Watch it buddy!! lol. And NO!

If I have offended anyone it was indirectly and not directly.

So F$%K OFF!! ;)

Bird,

Your using the wrong dictionary. :D

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=fo'+shizzle+my+nizzle

cheezydemon said:
Watch it buddy!! lol. And NO!

If I have offended anyone it was indirectly and not directly.

So F$%K OFF!! ;)

See, if you say "indirectly," do you really need to also say "not directly"? That strikes me as redundant. Repetitive, as well... ;)

I agree irregardless is NOT a word. Quoting MW has lost meaning to me anymore. Some of the words they're entering lately are rediculous. Excuse me, redonkulous...

Rhoobarb said:
I thought so, too. But alas, it IS a word. Check the Merriam-Webster dictionary.

The phrase that I get personally peeved over is the incorrect usage of "I could care less". It's "I couldn't care less", you morons!

Ohh, I hate this. I hear this all the time. I always respond with, "How much more could you care less?" They look at me like... what? So, I repeat myself and look like such a smarta$$ explaining how they need to explain how much less they could care.

I also hate when you ask someone how they are and they say, "Good." Then they ask me and I say, "I am very well, thanks for asking." They look like I said something wrong, lol. I don't understand people and where they learned English.

Soulive said:
I agree irregardless is NOT a word. Quoting MW has lost meaning to me anymore. Some of the words they're entering lately are rediculous. Excuse me, redonkulous...

It's a philosophical thing. Should a dictionary include "words" that people actually use, or "words" that (somebody says) they SHOULD use? Urbandictionary's an extreme example of the former (although I think, err... HOPE, that 98% of their stuff is made up....)

the_bird said:
It's a philosophical thing. Should a dictionary include "words" that people actually use, or "words" that (somebody says) they SHOULD use? Urbandictionary's an extreme example of the former (although I think, err... HOPE, that 98% of their stuff is made up....)

I know, it just irks the **** out of me. Its like well everyone's wrong so lets just make the right thing the wrong thing and vice versa. I guess reality itself is up for debate too...

Soulive said:
I know, it just irks the **** out of me. Its like well everyone's wrong so lets just make the right thing the wrong thing and vice versa. I guess reality itself is up for debate too...

Language evolves. Think "google." That word didn't exist 15 years ago but is pretty well entrenched in the English language now

After you watch Marina, from "Hot for words" talk about it, you really really won't care so much any more. Irrespictive of it all, you'll be too fixated on watching her cleavage move as she speaks in her delicious accent.:D

[YOUTUBE]4X4QmVxZt6E[/YOUTUBE]

How come my English teachers never looked like her?

http://www.hotforwords.com/

:ban:

Revvy said:
After you watch Marina, from "Hot for words" talk about it, you really really won't care so much any more. You'll be too fixated on watch her cleavage move as she speaks in her delicious accent.:D

:ban:

Man she's hot. Thank you :mug:

cheezydemon said:
IS NOT A WORD

Regardless does fine on it's own. Adding the "Irre" for more emphasis makes you a retarded person. No F@%K that, even retarded people don't say "irregardless".

YOU CAN QUOTATE ME ON THAT.

irregardless of what you say I say it's a word.

irregardless

Main Entry: ir·re·gard·less
Pronunciation: \ˌir-i-ˈgärd-ləs\
Function: adverb
Etymology: probably blend of irrespective and regardless
Date: circa 1912
nonstandard : regardless
usage Irregardless originated in dialectal American speech in the early 20th century. Its fairly widespread use in speech called it to the attention of usage commentators as early as 1927. The most frequently repeated remark about it is that “there is no such word.” There is such a word, however. It is still used primarily in speech, although it can be found from time to time in edited prose. Its reputation has not risen over the years, and it is still a long way from general acceptance. Use regardless instead.

c.n.budz said:
Language evolves. Think "google." That word didn't exist 15 years ago but is pretty well entrenched in the English language now

Yeah it did. I learned about googles back in elementary school which was longer than 15 years ago.

Irregardless, the amount of spelling mistakes and incorrect usage of different words in this thread alone irks me.

What I learned in school the other day...

My Econ Prof hates when people misuse the English language. His favorite "That being said" is his pet peeve. He went on a ten minute tirade about the proper term is "That said" so... That being said, I'll not use it anymore.

Revvy said:
After you watch Marina, from "Hot for words" talk about it, you really really won't care so much any more. Irrespictive of it all, you'll be too fixated on watching her cleavage move as she speaks in her delicious accent.:D

I was able to watch that for a bit more than 1 minute before I became frustred that she still had her top on.

The one that gets me, and maybe it's just an Ohio redneck thing, is saying "I thought you was gonna..." instead of saying "I thought you were going to..."

One of the ladies that works for me says it all the time and it's all I can do to not go off on her.

Over the holidays I borrowed an Lcd Projector from work to watch a downloaded copy of Santa Claus Conquers the Martian's on the wall of my loft (I have 12' ceilings) after the movie I had a "hot for words" marathon... Let's just say that the "mountains" look even more magnificiant on an 8'X8' image.

Back