Iron Mash-2013

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Huaco

Reaction score
Ok... So, the awards ceremony was today for this competition. My team was comprised of me and 4 other guys. We are all relatively new to brewing but are fast learners and info-hungry to learn... In October, we had our live-brew competition. It is similar to Iron Chef on TV but with brewing. 25-26 teams show up knowing noting more than they are brewing beer that day and have to use the secret ingredients. The rules were: Sign in by what-ever time... (too freakin' early) start heating strike water. Big meeting to reveal ingredients. MUST use all of ONE ingredient and some of all the rest. 45 minutes to create a recipe on the fly with newly acquired ingredients. (Even the grains, hops and yeast were kept sectret) Must have recipe turned in PRIOR to mashing that details what ingredient you are highlighting and the rest of the recipe too...
Brew beer.
Take the beer home to ferment, and not adjust ANYTHING or add ANYTHING else (honor system).
Submit bottles by middle of December for judging.

I'm proud to say Team NÜB took Second Place!!!!! From the judges response, it was a REAL toss-up between us and the other entry for first place.
1210_10151424298089224_131770140_n.jpg

We ended up brewing a "Plantain Porter" with hints of Cumin, Tamarind, and Elder Flower. I can't remember the exact grainbill but it turned out a REALLY nice robust porter. Fermented with S-04. (i think)

Back