Irish Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
6 lbs light or extra light DME (or 7lbs xlLME)
1 lb roasted barley
2 oz East Kent Goldings 60 min
Irish Ale yeast
OG: 1.053 IBUs: 34 ABV: 5.2

It's really that simple!

That is a good recipe and will get you there with a nice beer... you could also drop a pound to a pound and a half of the DME to get to the more traditional 1.040-1.045 OG of a dry stout.

I would, personally drop 1# of the DME and add a pound of flaked barley to the steeping grain for the creaminess. I know, I know, people go on about it needing to be mashed... it's true that to get everything it offers mashing is needed, but you will still get texture and some of the richness it adds to the flavor. Haze it will throw in this case is irrelevant in the black beer. I have used flaked barley in all my stouts, extract or AG, for many years and love the results

Either way you go, the great thing about Irish stouts are that they ARE extremely simple beers and even the most novice brewer can make a good one without leaving their comfort zone.

Back