Irish Stout, too much headspace turned out not enough

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sago

Reaction score
Within 8 hours, 1cm krausen, 30minutes after 1 1\2 inch. Went to work, came back early 6 hours later its to the top of the airlock. I thought the amount of headspace I left was enough with the airlock, guess not. Now current time as I'm typing its gushing krausen in chunks probably hops n such without the airlock. Anyway to stop this? Tin foil failed, just fell, paper towel same problem. I just added a paper towel. I mean I don't have a blow off tube just yet should I be good with paper towel sanitized and let it gush out all over the garbage bag so it doesn't ruin the carpet?

Using s-04 for the very first time, I've never had this and thought ec-1118 was vigorous. Actually my second batch of beer, first one was with coopers nothing like this happened. Anyways, within the whole time I brewed it and the smell of the fermentation sounds promising. I have people who's over and without knowing they're smelling the fermentation they love it!

20140522_073916.jpg

20140522_073925.jpg

20140522_142621.jpg

20140522_164124.jpg

20140522_164136.jpg

Was the problem that I accidentally made that into 6-8%? OG was meant to be 1.050, I made it 1.070 cause I didn't boil enough water and cooled down. Thats why so much headspace

I need to know if I'm good with just paper towel or a cloth. I don't want any infections. I will add airlock when it slows down

It is now an imperial irish stout ;).

Was the problem that I accidentally made that into 6-8%? OG was meant to be 1.050, I made it 1.070 cause I didn't boil enough water and cooled down. Thats why so much headspace
\
I think you answered your own question.

That was a guess =)

Didn't know whether or not it mattered how much water it was made with the same amount of fermentable sugars. Trail and hopefully no error in taste xD

I would toss the paper towel, it will not be sanitized for very long and will then promote infection. Sanitize a plastic cup and put over the top until the krausen stops gushing. Then clean and sanitize the air lock and use it.

Done, good call. I'll use that cup method all life now *until blow off tube comes in*

Ale Pail is just the same as a food grade pail that comes with grape juice to make wine right?

I'll use a fermenting bucket when wine is done fermenting, need another basement for beer xD

I don't like the idea having silicon based drops in my beer xD

Anyways, it looks like 2 1\2 inches of trub already. Looks pretty cool, never done stout so is this perfectly normal? I'm leaving this for 4-6 weeks if thats fine with that much trub?

Like this guys picture, but cooler. I'd take one now but its in a box to keep it dark. Maybe I'll update this when its ready to bottle

Latest posts

Back