Irish Stout (ie Guiness Draught) Extract recipe anyone ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duster

Reaction score
Ive made a couple batches of extract thanks to my local home brew businesses and Northern Brew - Now I want to try to replicate a Guiness Draught extract recipe ..... Any suggestions / links ? THanks in advance.....

Not an easy brew to replicate. Even if you get close you would need to keg it and carbonate with nitrogen to be in the ball park. You might want to advance to all grain and play around a bit before you try to clone this particular beer.

Bob

Its going to be a bit tricky to get an extract version because most of them have flaked barley which needs to be mashed.

Beersmith when I convert my simple all grain dry stout recipe it replaces the flaked barley with carafoam instead of 2 lbs of flaked barley.

Recipe: Dry Stout - extract
Style: Dry Stout
TYPE: Extract

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 4.19 gal
Post Boil Volume: 3.90 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.50 gal
Bottling Volume: 5.10 gal
Estimated OG: 1.047 SG
Estimated Color: 31.3 SRM
Estimated IBU: 33.0 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 0.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name
1 lbs Carafoam (2.0 SRM)
1 lbs Roasted Barley (450.0 SRM)
7 lbs Pale Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM)
2.50 oz Goldings, East Kent [4.90 %] - Boil 60.0 Hop
1.00 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining
1.0 pkg English Ale (White Labs #WLP002)

Great thanks. I know an extract recipe is not the best solution but I wanted to try one, then as I progress to the all grain/nitrogen recipe, I can compare.

Thanks again... Ill be trying this over St Pattys day !

Back