Irish Stout carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TW1Kell

Reaction score
I bottled a Cooper's Irish Stout batch, 3 weeks ago, today. It tastes great, and is a bit "stouter tasting" than either Guinness or Murphy's, which is a plus for all of us. The problem is that it has very little head or carbonation, at all. I used 2 priming drops per 750ml bottle as instructed (I used a Cooper's kit and the package and followed all of their instructions). Where did I go wrong with the head? Does it need more bottle conditioning time, or will it develop any more head? I really like the taste, but it is just a bit flat...

What temp are you conditioning at? Generally 3 weeks at around 70 degrees will carb the beer nicely. The lower the temp the longer to condition.

Did you shake the bottles up really good when you capped em after the drops went in? I use priming sugar myself and shook them once a week for 3 weeks,then put em in the fridge for like 3-4 days. What kinda of ambient temp did you have while they sat? I read on here that 70f is a good place to be at 3 weeks (revvy I believe)

Did you shake the bottles up really good when you capped em after the drops went in? I use priming sugar myself and shook them once a week for 3 weeks,then put em in the fridge for like 3-4 days. What kinda of ambient temp did you have while they sat? I read on here that 70f is a good place to be at 3 weeks (revvy I believe)

Shaking your bottles after bottling to help in carbination. Never heard that one. Does it really help?

I cant say it DIDNT help ha mine came out fully carbed and had amazing head retention ect. I kinda did it on a whim but I was told that if you use carb drops you should shake them at least initially until the tablet dissolves

Actually, I was being careful not to upset them, when I bottled. Too late for that, now.

They've been at 60-70 during the conditioning process.

Back