Irish Stout at 1.020

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GunnerMan

Reaction score
I brewed my first AG "Ode to Arthur" and I was supposed to get a FG of 1.012 but last week or so it got stuck at 1.020, at first I thought it was stuck fermentation so i added energizer, stirred the cake, and repitched yeast. There was some lock activity so I checked it today(a week later) and miniscule change on the hyrdro, less than 1 point.

I did get way better efficiency than I planned for so beersmith said I would ferment out at around 1.013, my only thought is I ended up mashing to hot(but I thought I mashed low). It tastes drinkable now but still a tad sweet.

I am guessing there is not much I can do besides bottle, drink, and be happy.

You could use an enzyme like Beano, but that carries a risk of bottle bombs (due to a long duration fermentation).

I recommend you enjoy what you've made and mash a little lower next time if you prefer drier beer. :)

Yeah I had beano in my hand a the store then realised, once I started that I might end up with "jet fuel" or a bottle bomb because there is really no stopping it.

Also mind sharing your "Obama Stout"?

That sweetness will mellow quite a bit with time and carbonation. I don't know what your OG was but if it was a big beer then 1.020 isn't out of whack at all for stout imo. If your OG was mid 50's or higher I think you're def fine (even if it was lower it'll still be fine).

I made a medium-grav Oatmeal Stout that finished at 1.018 or so and it was a bit cloying/sweet at first (when it was too young to be drinking it) but that mellowed and after a small amount of conditioning it turned out great. Prior to carbonating it I was sure it was gonna be way too sweet...wrong.

1.020 will be a nice sweet stout.

Calibrate your thermometer(s)! I calibrated all of mine with boiling water and ice water, and I cross check them regularly. 4-5*F difference is not uncommon for cheap kitchen thermos, and being that much off makes a BIG difference in attenuation unless you are using a super yeast. ;)

Brewed Ode to Arthur Stout(https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f68/ode-arthur-irish-stout-guinness-clone-28239/), it was my first AG and I forgot to say my efficiency was 11% higher than anticipated(first ag) so, im not on my comp with my notes but I want to say it went in with an OG in the 1.050 range.

It will be going in the bottle at the end of this week, ill le it rest for 4 weeks and se how she does.

Back