Irish Stout and Rum

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have long cherished my college habit of pouring a shot into a garbage beer. This evening while enjoying one of my homebrew stouts, I got a crazy itch to add a 1/2 shot of dark spiced rum. Interestingly enough, the rum seems to have accentuated (in a positive way) some of the flavors of a traditional Irish stout including the dark sugar (almost licorice), roastiness, and coffee. Either I'm half shot myself or they pair surprisingly well together. Has anyone else done this intentionally to bring out flavor?(Not for the sole purpose of getting smashed although sometimes a welcome side effect)

Would love to try that paired with a cigar.

Only thing like this I've tried is a good pils with a shot of bourbon poured in - basically a mixed boilermaker, and like that too.

Depending on where we were, these were served as a double shot, with a shot of Cognac, and a shot of Guinness together. Or, a shot of Guinness in about 8 OZ of Guinness. OR A shot in the bottom of a Glass, and a full bottle of Guinness SLOWLY poured over the top. It has been some time, but as i remember it; it was Foreign export at about 7.5%. and i have NO CLUE what brandy! All of them were pretty good. ALL of them were served in one sort or another of clear or Red "solo" cups, which I have no doubt added to the character. As for the hangover - I was young and sturdy, so a couple bottles of Ting, and some Jerked chicken, and good to go all over again!

That sounds delish; I am going to try! I do love barrel-aged Scotch Ales and Stouts.

Back