Irish Red Steam Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

itsme6582

Reaction score
I got a Brewer's Best Irish Red extract kit for Christmas. I brewed an Irish Ale from MoreBeer back in early December. I want to change it up a bit so I decided that I want to make this a Steam Beer. The kit is designed for a 2.5 gallon partial boil.

OG: 1.048-1.052
IBUs: 19-23
Color: Medium Amber

Extracts:
6.6 lbs Light LME

Steeping Grains:
8 oz Caramel 120L
1 oz Chocolate

Hops:
1 oz Willamette - 55 min
1 oz Willamette - 5 min

Yeast:
Nottingham

I'm going to use either WLP001 California Ale Yeast or WLP810 San Fransisco Lager Yeast. It will probably come down to which my LHBS has on hand. I'm not looking to make this perfectly fit within BJCP guidelines but I'd appreciate any help that could push me towards making a great beer.

I'd go with either the cali ale yeast,or the north west ale yeast from wyeast. The north west one gives better malt-side characteristics. I'm going to use the Willamette myself,with some Kent Goldings. The latter is a classic uk ale hop. Sounds like an interesting brew. Haven't tried steam beer yet,being in OH.

One MUST use a california common (aka steam beer) yeast strain to really produce the right style.
If you really want to replicate the steam beer yeast profile, go with the WLP810, and keep it in the temp range recommended by white labs.

And let us know how it turns out. I like a red ale, so I'm curious about a red 'semi-lager' too

Back