Irish red recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

westconsin

Reaction score
My sister in law is getting married in july and her hubby's family is coming to the states from ireland. He wanted me to make an irish style beer for his dad and I came up with a recipe and wanted opinons.

4# Marris Otter 81%
8 oz Munich
2 oz c20
2 oz roasted barley

.5 oz kent goldings 60 min
wyeast irish ale yeast

It's a 8.5 quart mr. beer keg which is all i have access to at the moment. any opinions would be appreciated. thanks!

I get 1.064 at 75% efficiency and around 24 IBUs. I don't really like that balance. If your efficiency is as low as 65% the balance is better, 1.056 and 25 IBU.

You will need more crystal malt to get the moderate caramel malt flavor listed in the guidelines. I'd use a darker crystal malt and less roasted barley. 10% of some dark British crystal would be good.

I do biab and get around 60-65 efficiency usually. thanks for the input, the brew store i go to doesn't carry a whole lot of british malts but i'll see what i can get.

this is my red which I am brewing now, just started boil. for 10 gal 18# warminster/maris otter, 3# 60 lv, 3# caraAroma [wyerman], 2# wheat, I used cascade because thats what I grow and I need to use them, tettnang at the end
american ale 2 yeast.

Back