Irish Red or, not so red

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

HausBrauerei_Harvey

Reaction score
what is the beersmith predicted SRM for this recipe?

I just did an irish red, had 3.7% of chocolate malt (350SRM), beersmith predicted 14.5 SRM for my grain bill. I kegged it last night it's actually a tad too dark for my taste, i'd likely go for 3.5-3% chocolate next year, maybe target 1-12 SRM.

OP
B

BrewRunning

Reaction score
Beer smith shows 10.6 SRM, is it possible the color will change over time?

Red_Dog

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I use about 3 oz Roasted Barley, you have to play with it to bring the color in, at 4oz mine was too dark.

behindthetimes

Reaction score
Just in case you're interested for next time, I brewed an irish red recently that came out very nice in all respects including color. 8lb red-x, 2lb maris, 4oz C80, with 3oz roasted barley 300L added to mash after 1st runnings. Beersmith calculates 15 SRM for it.

OP
B

BrewRunning

Reaction score
Thanks for the input, I'll try to boost the roasted barley a little more next time and see what happens.

filthyastronaut

Reaction score
That would be the perfect amount of roasted barley, but it's the Briess 300l version. Try using Black Barley, which is around 500l, or a British roasted barley which can be even higher.

OP
B

BrewRunning

Reaction score
This is a 6 gallon batch, I'm thinking about kegging 5gal as is and the remaining gallon I'm thinking about adding coffee and bottling just to try something different. Has anyone ever added coffee to an Irish Red? What's your experience, good or bad?

OP
B

BrewRunning

Reaction score
So I searched the forums and found where this was mentioned several times before but, I couldn't find where anyone actually ever posted results. I kegged this beer today and transferred 1gal over to a secondary container. I added 1/2 an oz of coarse ground coffee to a sanitized steeping bag and threw it in. I plan to let it cold steep for 24 to 48 hours. I'll then bottle this portion and bottle condition. I'll post back once have results.