Irish red kit tips

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blove30

Reaction score
Hello esteemed brewers!
This weekend I am brewing an Irish red kit from northern brewery.
The kit includes:
6 lbs of gold malt syrup
Nottingham dry yeast
1oz willamette (for 60)
1oz us goldings (for 30 min)
Specialty grains

Are there any tips or suggestions to make this really good? Do I need more aroma hops at the end of the boil? Any suggestions for recipe tweaks?

Thanks

Hello esteemed brewers!
This weekend I am brewing an Irish red kit from northern brewery.
The kit includes:
6 lbs of gold malt syrup
Nottingham dry yeast
1oz willamette (for 60)
1oz us goldings (for 30 min)
Specialty grains

Are there any tips or suggestions to make this really good? Do I need more aroma hops at the end of the boil? Any suggestions for recipe tweaks?

Thanks

This best things you can do for a kit like this to make it taste good is: Aerate your cooled wort well before pitching and control your fermentation temperature (Take care of your yeast friends).

As far as aroma hops, it's going to be up to you, we don't know what your tastes are like. However, if you feel this may be a good addition based on your prior sampling of the style, or your own personal tastes then by all means go for it.:mug:

I would say just keep an eye on your fermentation temp. That yeast likes to be right at 61*. It will take a bit longer to finish out, but you will be in style guidelines with a clean tasting beer.

[email protected]. on tap: easy virtue blonde, fruity monk belgian wit. primary: American pale ale, American stout, blow your top steam, and heffewitzen

I brewed this same exact kit about 2 months ago, and have just started drinking them. It came out great! What I did was add a couple of pounds of the Gold Malt Syrup at the beginning of the boil and then the remainder of it with about 15 minutes to go. I also added about 4oz of maltodextrin just before flameout (first time using maltodextrin). I then fermented this one right around 64 degrees, bottled and let them sit 3-4 weeks. I love this kit, and plan on having a couple of them tonight! Good luck.

*Also...skip secondary. I don't think it's necessary.

I made this exact kit but added 1 lb. light DME. It is almost gone, one of my favorites so far. Im sure it would be good without the extra dme also.

Back