Irish Red Critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SkiNuke

Reaction score
Well I decided I should take my newly made wort chiller out for a spin so I wanted to make another recipe. I couldn't make up my mind between a porter and an irish red, but I figured a smoked baltic porter was a bit more complicated to design a recipe for than an irish red. So here goes, take a swing and tell me what I should do better.

Size: 5 Gallon
OG: 1.052
FG:1.014
IBU: 24
Color: 18

9.5 lbs pale malt (2 row)
.5 lbs roasted barely
.25 crystal 60
.25 crystal 20 (maybe carared if someone gives me a good reason)

1 oz Fuggles 4.5% AA (60 min)
.5 oz Kent Golding 5.5% AA (20 min)
.5 oz Kent Golding 5.5% AA (flameout)

WYeast Irish Ale yeast

single infusion mash at 148 for 1 hour
batch sparge

on the hop schedule, i might switch out fuggles for 1 oz williamettes if the brew shop doesn't carry fuggle pellets and if the AA is less on any of the hops i actually buy i will just use less at the flameout and more at 20 min.

So I brewed this with a slightly different grain bill (seen below). Unfortunately it turned out more brown than anything, and had a fusel alcoholic taste to it. I plan to pitch with a starter next time I brew this, but how do I make it more red? I was thinking of switching the crystal 80 with crystal 40, but I was hoping for some feedback on that.

10 lbs british 2 row
8 oz crystal 80
4 oz roasted barley

depends on the lovibond of the roasted barley you used. some are around 300 (~14SRM), others 500+ (17+SRM). thats unfortunate to hear about the fusels, looked pretty good otherwise. keep your ferment temps down (<70F) next time too

So I tried tweaking the recipe a bit and got something that I like a lot more, a bit too dry and a bit thin but that is because my mash temps were off (thermometer reads about 7-10 degrees too high. The recipe I brewed:

10 lbs marris otter
8 oz crystal 40
4 oz crystal 120
4 oz roasted barley
used a starter and pitched at 60 and fermented at 62

It was in the primary for 2 weeks, cold crashed for 3-4 days at 40ish then I racked it to the keg. It has been in the keg for 2 weeks going on 3 and it still hasn't cleared. Its very very hazy and you can't see through it at all. I don't think its chill haze because it looks the same at room temp (after a little bit being left out to test if that was the problem). The jars of yeast I rinsed from this batch are just as hazy and i barely have any yeast on the bottom of the jars.

Any ideas on what to do about the haze? Is it just yeast still in suspension?

Back