Irish Red Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thejbj13

Reaction score
Going to start an Irish Red Ale from Northern Brewing, has anyone made it yet/anything you did differently that turned out good?

It's a good kit, as is. I add Whirlfloc for clarity to all my beer but otherwise I used three of these kits while teaching an Intro to Extract Brewing course.

Maybe substitute the Nottingham dry for Safale S-04... dunno, it's good as is.

For my 3rd brew, back over 3 years ago, I did the NB Irish Red. It was fantastic. I've brewed 3 different recipes since and the NB was definitely the best. I believe I probably used a wyeast smackpack instead of dry yeast- probably whatever # the irish yeast is.
A cautionary tale- This past spring I did the NB Irish Draught instead(should have stuck with the IR). When it didn't look as red as I wanted, I bottled with a bottle of POM pomegranate juice. DON'T. The color was good, but there is an off-flavor that I really don't like. I'm still drinking it, but every time I tell myself "I should have done the Irish Red". It really is a good, solid, easy recipe.

one of my extract batches was an Irish Red that turned out REALLY good. I could pull it from my beersmith if you want...

I might take you up on that offer in the future haha

Anytime. It was a simple recipe and easy to brew. I did it extract and partial boil even and it is still one of my best YTD!

For Red Ales I like to add a bit of honey to the boil. For a 5 gallon batch I usually add 1lb.

Did it twice. Once with the dry Notty yeast, once with the liquid. If you have the dry Notty yeast, you need to keep it cool. Below 68, to be safe.

I blew through the upper temp range of the Notty and it was nasty. I vowed revenge, and picked it up a year later with the liquid yeast.

When I used the liquid (and with improved temp control), it turned out a mighty fine beer.

My 1st IR ale was really good, extract kit .
Have a 2nd IR ale in primary right now, added a lb of our
raw honey after flame out when it cooled down to 100*F and also held
1/2 the liquid malt till 30 mins left in the boil.
Experimenting.......

If you like a dryer beer the Nottingham will work well. If you go with Nottingham keep your initial ferment temps in the low 60's. Over 65F and you'll risk nastiness.

But for a little more smokiness you might try it with White Labs WLP004 Irish Ale yeast. It makes a very nice beer.

Cheers! :mug:

An Irish red was the first recipe I ever developed on my own. It's really not that complicated, but, in my opinion, using the actual Irish ale yeast is essential. Nottingham is too clean (when handled properly), and S-04 gives you something along the lines of an ESB. You'll get very good beer from either, but it won't be a real Irish red. Besides, the price difference between dry and liquid yeast is down to a buck or two now. No reason not to do it right.

an irish red was the first recipe i ever developed on my own. It's really not that complicated, but, in my opinion, using the actual irish ale yeast is essential. Nottingham is too clean (when handled properly), and s-04 gives you something along the lines of an esb. You'll get very good beer from either, but it won't be a real irish red. Besides, the price difference between dry and liquid yeast is down to a buck or two now. No reason not to do it right.

+1 ^^^

Back