Irish Red Ale to India Red Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveSquared

Reaction score
I have a few questions about my next brew. I have an Irish Red Ale extract kit from northern brewer that I want to make into an India Red Ale. Here's the recipe...

-6 Gallon boil, 5 gallon recipe

- 0.5 lbs Belgian Cara 8
- 0.25 lbs Briess Special Roast
- 0.125 lbs Belgian Biscuit
- 0.125 lbs English Chocolate Malt

- 6 lbs Gold Malt syrup

-1 oz Willamette (60 min)
- 1 oz US Goldings (30 min)

-Danstar Nottingham Ale Yeast

I have some extra hops in the freezer, mainly cascade, centennial, and citra. Would these be alright to use? I love hoppy beers and would love to make this! Does anyone have a recommendation on a hop schedule? Would I need to add any more malt? Thanks for the help!

Here's a recent hop schedule I used for an IPA that seemed to work pretty well:

0.62 oz Citra [11%] (First Wort Hop)
0.62 oz Cascade [7%] (First Wort Hop)
1 oz Cascade [7%] (45 min)
0.5 oz Citra [11%] (15 min)
0.5 oz Cascade [7%] (15 min)
0.5 oz Citra [11%] (5 min)
0.5 oz Cascade [7%] (5 min)
0.5 oz Citra [11%] (0 min)
0.5 oz Cascade [7%] (0 min)
1.5 oz Citra [11%] (Dry Hop 7 days)
1.5 oz Cascade [7%] (Dry Hop 7 days)

I would also use different yeast, SafAle (S-04) or (S-05).

The pale chocolate isn't the wisest choice to pair with citrus, fruity hops. But that recipe is definitely using it to get to a reddish color. If you have some other dark crystal or caramunich to substitute, that would be helpful.

So should I not add the willamette and goldings? And I believe I can run to my LHBS and get some different grains. Should I opt for a lighter DME instead of the gold malt syrup?

You can experiment with any you want. When I'm building a recipe I search this site for recipes that use combinations of the hops I want to use and google the hops to see their flavor profiles. For me, the Willamette would work for an IPA but I'd probably pass on the Goldings. It depends on what you like.

You can use the recipe builder on Brewer's Friend to see how your choices impact bitterness. You might take a stab at a recipe then post it for feedback. You can also change the fermentables to determine impact to color and OG/ABV.

http://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/calculator/

Back