Irish Red Ale questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guitarjaws

Reaction score
Hi all this is my first post. I am brewing a irish red that should be about ready to be bottled. I hit my og and just hit close to my fg three days ago and its stayed the same since. I am anxious to start another batch but really want this one to turn out well so I was wondering if irish reds need much time for the flavors to do their thing or if it will come out okay if i go ahead and bottle.:drunk: I probably just need to rdwhahb and let it go a bit longer but it would be nice to make the apartment smell like fresh wort again.:D thanks for any wisdom

-Jaws:mug:

Well, you'll have a better product if you wait another 2 week or so. :) But I remember my first batch (insert your st paulie's girl joke here) and understand the need to get another batch going.

Since you MAINLY want to get another batch going and not rush your pipeline, would it make sense to just pick up another primary with your next batch and get yourself into a pipeline mode?

To answer your question, the red will change quite a bit from week 1 to week 3 and then again in bottles as the roasted barley has its chance to impart its magic.

How long has it been? If you can let it wait it would be better as i've learned from this site, but as a new brewer I know that patience is a hard thing to deal with. Two thing I can think to do is, if you have a secondary you rack it to that and brew again, or go to your LHBS and buy another fermenting bucket and brew again. Good luck and yes RDWHAHB.

Thanks for all the quick replys guys. To be honest i guess it does make sense to go ahead and get another fermenter, i dont think i can name one reason not too:D I think im going to let it sit for another week or so and see how it the flavor is and in the mean time that should allow for a new kit and fermenter to come in the mail. I had my eyes on Northern Brewers ak47 for awhile any thoughts on it?

Never tried that one but if thats where you're ordering your bucket get a few few kits you want to try and save some shipping costs. I know it's flat rate but multiple orders it still adds up. I've done NB Phat Tyre amber ale, American wheat, Irish red ale, and Witbier all were pretty tasty.

I cosign on waiting and getting more fermenter's. I currently have 2 carboys and have them each on a 3 - 4 week cycle. So if you started them a week or two apart your basically brewing every other weekend. I let them sit a minimum of 3 weeks in primary. Then if bottling I try "key word try" to let them sit another 2 - weeks before cracking into them. Some beers are good after 2 weeks bottle conditioning. But I have had some brews that were MEH at 2 weeks become delicious around week 4 or 5 in the bottle. A big pipeline helps with patience hehe :mug:

Very true about the shipping never thought about it that way since it is a flat rate but you are right when one thinks about it. I keep hearing about this pipeline and I can't wait to have a sustainable one myself, in the mean time i guess i will just have to keep telling the GF im just doing more research by buying commercial beer and ensuring her she will be happy with the results of my hard work ;)

Back