irish red ale formulation query

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

earthboundagain

Reaction score
So I downloaded brewtarget about 3 weeks ago, but I haven’t been able to play with it till today. So I thought I would try to formulate up my first recipe. I figure I would go with an extract batch to get my feet wet with. So after consulting the swmbo, it was decided that this beer would be an Irish red ale with a little more of a malty punch.

This is what I have so far, and I would appreciate any comments or suggestions.

5 gallon extract batch

3.5 gallon boil

6 lb pale lme
12 oz carared
04 oz biscuit

0.350 oz challenger hop pellets-1hr
0.350 oz kent golding pellets-30 min
0.350 oz fuggles pellets-15min

Nottingham yeast

o.g. 1.048
f.g. 1.010
abv 5%
ibu 17
srm 9

The way it is now--it's not red. It's gold.

To make it red, you need to add 4-5 ozs. of roasted barley. Most IRAs that I've had also have the slight roast character that it adds.

If you want to make it really malty, I would also suggest adding 8ozs. of aromatic or melanoiden malt. It has a wonderful bready, buttered breadcrust type of flavor that's hard to describe. Very nice malt.

My grain bill would be:

6lb extract
8oz melanoiden/aromatic
12 oz carared
4oz. roasted barley

+1 to what RCCOLA said. I think biscuit malt sorta accomplishes what Aromatic malt does. Use what you want there.

But a dash of roast barley is really what distinguishes an Irish Red. The idea should be that you pick up the beer expecting a sweet, caramel amber ale, but when you drink it, it's much drier than you expected.

Latest posts

Back