Irish Moss

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oguss0311

Reaction score
I've read that Irish Moss is not too good for extract brewing. Why? Is this because it might congeal (sp!) the extract sugar? I've used it once before, and didnt notice anything too hairy. Is it really that big of a deal? How about for PM? I've got a boil going Now- and Might not add Irish Moss- if its really that big of a problem.....

I couldn't see a reason why Irish moss wouldn't be helpful, unless of course you are making a wheat beer that doesn't need to be somewhat clarified. I use it in all my batches except wheat beers with no ill-effects.

I have never heard of this problem. I used Irish moss all the time when I was making extract batches and even used them when I first started with the Coopers kits.

Where did you hear that oguss? I've never heard of such a thing before either. Irish moss binds onto protein strings that can contribute to chill haze. Even if it did congeal sugars, as it were, the yeast would still consume it.

I'm gonna double check- But I think its Palmers book. I was flipping through it at a buddies the other day- and Most clarifying agents that I was aware of were followed by "Not recommended for extract batches". I've used it maybe three times - and never had any issues.
You know how when you use extracts, and they are not thoroughly blended- it can give you an off OG reading- despite the fact that the sugar is in there- and its just not stirred up enough? I thought that perhaps it may confound issues along those lines- physically speaking- I could not come to any conclusion why- but I don't know too much about that sort of thing, and the statement did not give any explanation.
More later- when I confirm the source of this-

Back