Irish Moss

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cgrivois

Reaction score
I’ve started using Irish Moss in the boil kettle the last 10 minutes. If I understand correctly that Irish Moss helps bind proteins and help produce a clearer beer. My boil kettle siphons from the bottom so everything in the kettle goes into the fermentor. Should I be transferring over with a racking cane or something and leaving the bottom portion of the boil behind, or is transferring all of it ok.

Using a racking cane would be best after you whirlpool to make a nice trub cone. If you do pull it from the valve on the kettle try using a paint strainer bag to filter it. That won't pull out what gives you chill haze though.
You can also just use clear gelatin after you cold crash or try Clarityferm, which you put into the fermenter prior to add I g the yeast. This is an enzymatic fining agent.

So am I defeating the purpose of Irish Moss by putting the entire boil kettle in the fermentation bucket?

So am I defeating the purpose of Irish Moss by putting the entire boil kettle in the fermentation bucket?

I don't think so. The moss causes coagulation and flocculation of proteins. They will not un-coagulate just because they go into the fermenter. While it can be nice to leave them behind, they will just settle into the trub if transferred. Just be careful when racking to the bottling bucket (or secondary, if you happen to use one) and it should be fine.

Back