Irish Moss

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

God Emporer BillyBrew

Reaction score
I forgot to add Irish Moss to my Dortmunder at boil. It's in the secondary now and I'd like to clear it up a bit. Could I boil some in a bit of water and still add it and it do any good? I guess boiling it would make it not ruin my beer, but will it clear it any?

"Carageenan aka Chondrus Chrispus a dried red-brown marine algae. Fining agent to remove large proteins. Negatively charged polymer attracts positively charged protein-tannin complexes (extracted from grain husks and hops) during the boil. This action is aided by the clumping of proteins in the boiling process. Irish moss settles to the bottom of the brew kettle with spent hops and hot break material at the end of the boil.

Use ½ teaspoon per 5 gallons of wort or 3-5g per 20L. For best results rehydrate the flakes in ¼ cup of warm water for 30 minutes before adding it during the last 20 minutes of the boil. Over boiling Irish moss can degrade it and make it ineffective."

--Paddock Wood Brewing Supplies

The moss needs to be boiled with the grains and sugars to have the desired effect. It's too late for this one. Cloudy beer never hurt anyone. Just their pride.

billybrew said:
I forgot to add Irish Moss to my Dortmunder at boil. It's in the secondary now and I'd like to clear it up a bit. Could I boil some in a bit of water and still add it and it do any good? I guess boiling it would make it not ruin my beer, but will it clear it any?
I used geletain in one of my brews. Seemed to clear it very well. Just give it 5 - 7 days.

Isinglass! Nothing like putting a substance taken from the inside of fish swim bladders in your beer.

Seriously, I've got nothing against it, it's just a funny thought.

I use powdered irish moss "Super Moss" with yeast nutrients. I've added it to secondary with no problem, but it didn't clear my beer well. Actually, I've never had a clear beer. I'm going to start a thread on this.

The happy mug said:
I use powdered irish moss "Super Moss" with yeast nutrients. I've added it to secondary with no problem, but it didn't clear my beer well. Actually, I've never had a clear beer. I'm going to start a thread on this.

Did you re-hydrate your IM? Do it as you would dry yeast. :D

I've tried Irish Moss, now can I try Kate Moss? :drunk:

Collectively these compounds are called finings and they work best in the secondary.

I filter when necessary, just my preference. It's easy when you keg everything.

Cheesefood said:
The moss needs to be boiled with the grains and sugars to have the desired effect. It's too late for this one.

Sorry, don't agree. It can be boiled added now and will have the same effect as if it was boiled in the wort.

Boiled grains?!?

Mikey said:
Sorry, don't agree. It can be boiled added now and will have the same effect as if it was boiled in the wort.

Boiled grains?!?
How does the carrageenan in the Irish moss dissolve in cold wort? :confused: Is that the point of making an Irish moss 'tea'?

I'm pretty sure Cheesefood is referring to the wort boil, not any boiling of grains.

Back