Irish moss??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bullshivit-brew

Reaction score
Ok made a beer on the 1st and forgot to add the irish moss to the boil. I am going to dry hop in secondery if I were to add whirlflock would it help or is it to late? Just dosn't seem as clear as other beers at 4 weeks.

Use gelatin 5 hours before you bottle or keg. That would help some. You can use the stuff from the grocer's store. You can easily search this forum for the method. :)

Also, unless clear beer is your thing, it wont hurt a bit to just leave it as it is. Myself and all my friends except that homebrew will not be crystal clear, and if they complain, I take there beer card. Problem solved! ;)

Most beers I have made have cleared after time and the ones that did not were either not supposed to or I did not care (cause it was good beer). I have used whirlock and Irish Moss, but never had a chance to use gelatin.

I do not use anything at this particular time, as I have enough time between primary and consumtion that they normally clear on their own.

As other have noted, Irish Moss and Whirlock should be used in the boil.

Salute! :mug:

+1 to Gelatin as this has done wonders for the clarity of my brews. I usually ad the gelatin in about 3 days before kegging though not sure if more time is better but I have not had any problems thus far.

Thanks guys. This is an IPA will gelatin take away from flavor or sent of the beer? I am not a fizzey yellow woosy beer guy if the beer is cloudy it dosnt bother me but I try to get them that way for friends. May be I will leave it cloudy more for me that way :)

Just get the clear non-flavored and you will be fine. Unless you are doing a tribute to Bill Cosby then grab a flavored one and let the jello pundn pops jokes fly. :)

I believe it is 1/2 tbs for a 5 gal brew. I just boil a small container of water put in the gelatin then let it cool before adding it.

Back