Irish moss vs plate chillers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olie

Reaction score
I'm starting to develop a superstition around the use of Irish moss and the coagulates clogging my plate chiller.

I don't have any proof or scientific evidence -- as I said, it's a superstition at this point -- but I'm curious if anyone else has had any problems with using Irish moss in the boil and then their chiller clogging up.

...Or if anyone has any other information that could either lend credence or debunk this idea.

Thanks!
~Ted

Irish moss definitely stimulates the coagulation; I don't see how you could avoid clogging up your plate if you can't keep the trub out of the chiller.

Hot break and cold break are fluffy, neither will plug up a plate chiller. ;)
Much more likely your hops are causing the clogging, use a mesh filter before your exit port, to keep them in the kettle.

Make sure the Irish Moss flakes themselves don't go through your chiller either. ;)

Next brew, don't pour dry IM in your kettle, start dissolving it in a bowl of hot water in the microwave while your mash is percolating, then pour the gooey result in the boil kettle when desired. At least the IM itself won't plug the PC, though perhaps the conglomerated trub might...

Cheers!

You can also consider using whirlfloc tablets instead of irish moss. Does the same thing, can be found for cheap, and no measuring required; just toss the tablet in the boil 10-15 minutes before the end. I got a pound of them on amazon 2 years ago and I'm nowhere near running out. I add it the same time as yeast nutrient, I have a dedicated shot glass for the purpose.

Second the whirlfloc instead. I have used Irish moss with my plate chiller (Therminator) and it didn't clog but it doesn't all come out with simple flushing. I have caught some of it coming out when I clean in place after brewing and let the PBW recirculate through my hop spider. Now there is IM in the whirlfloc but it appears to be ground finer. Whirlfoc has never clogged my Therminator either but as I always get a small amount of material that doesn't flush easy, I can't tell what everything is. I have clearly identified IM though and some of the leftover is small bits of grain as well.

Back