Irish moss question:

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Where do you put your irsh moss?

• I put it in my hop bag

• I put mine right into the boil pot.

• Muffins! I use whirlflock!

Results are only viewable after voting.
I use whirlfloc now. When I used irish moss, I tossed it straight in the boil. I figured that it needs to coagulate proteins, so it should be exposed as much as possible to the wort.

Whirlfloc, it's like less that $0.50 per ten gallon batch and comes in a convenient tablet just the right size for ten gallon batches too.

I use whirlfloc now. When I used irish moss, I tossed it straight in the boil. I figured that it needs to coagulate proteins, so it should be exposed as much as possible to the wort.
Whats the reasoning behind the switch?

and straight into the pot for me.

I am a Whirl Flocker. But when I used Irish Moss it went into the pot. Seems like bagging it would be counterproductive and cut its efficiency.

Long answer,

Brewers Supply Group :: Knowledge Center

Everything you ever wanted to know about Irish Moss or Isinglass finings.

Short answer,

IIRC it doesn't matter. The heat breaks down the carrageenan so that it is soluable in the wort. IM is most effective around 30*F to 50*F. Been a while since I have read the links and could be off a bit on the numbers.

The reason I posted the poll was I put the moss right into my boil. But then I had to clean it off my IC. Not bad, but one more step. I was looking for a way not to have to scrub all 50' of my IC every time I use it. I also figured that if I put it in the hop bag it would just coagulate the hops and goo up the bag. So I didn't want to go that route, unless other peeps have tried it.

Once I'm out of IM, I'll be buying whirlfloc.

B

Latest posts

Back