Irish Moss Instructions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jackson_d

Reaction score
Well no shame in stating that I'm a nooB. I'm cooking up my fourth batch this weekend. Already doing full boils, homemade wort chiller, whole hops, liquid yeast with a starter, at least 2 weeks in primary... I'm learning. An experienced friend of mine suggested Whirlfloc.. LHBS doesnt carry it. Does that mean my LHBS sucks? I got the Irish Moss instead. Never used it and dont know what to do. I think he said addto the boiling wort with 10-15 min left in the boil. Then cool and strain the wort into primary as usual? Any little tricks any experienced members can share with me? Trying rapsberry wheat this time so the clearer the better, we intend for this to be a batch for my sister to enjoy this summer..

Same thing. Whirfloc has a few more additives, but it's basically just pelletized irish moss.

Last 10-15 minutes of boil would do just fine.

People will tell you not to add it to a wheat. Don't listen to them, if you want to do it...do it.
:mug:

I use a teaspoon per 5 gallons. I bloom it up first in a bit of water and add it with 15 minutes to go in my boil.

so thats it? add to wort and strain as usual? whats the science? something boils off the moss and gets added to the wort and coagulates the trub better than if the moss inst in there?

Same thing. Whirfloc has a few more additives, but it's basically just pelletized irish moss.

Last 10-15 minutes of boil would do just fine.

People will tell you not to add it to a wheat. Don't listen to them, if you want to do it...do it.
:mug:

I guess it depends if you want a clearer beer or more of a haze...

I'm assuming you still doing extract brewing but if you doing all grain do a protein rest if you want clearer beer in addition to irish moss......

oh man... still all extract.. not even ready for patial mash just yet.. one reason is that i dont have an oven... long story.. but yes still all extract. so just throw the moss in there after letting a tsp sit in cool water for 10 min?

you don't need an oven to do all grain or partial mash

Certainly not...I use a preheated 2 gallon round drink cooler for my partial mashes, it holds temp to within 2-3 degrees over an hour. Get a bag that fits it and take the plunge!

Certainly not...I use a preheated 2 gallon round drink cooler for my partial mashes, it holds temp to within 2-3 degrees over an hour. Get a bag that fits it and take the plunge!

I just use my regular 5 gallon brew kettle on the stovetop. Turn the gas almost all the way off (smallest possible flame) and put the top on, and I stay within 2 degrees for an hour. No separate container needed. See Deathbrewer's partial mash instructions in the Basic Brewing forum (sticky).

Back