Irish Moss = Floating Trub?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wicked Daddy

Reaction score
I recently started using irish moss and got a strange, first time event that I think is caused by it. I recently brewed a Helles Lager, of which I have done now many times, never having used irish moss in the past batches.

During primary, the typical kreusen formed but instead of ultimately falling to the bottom, it formed a skin and floated on top. Some did fall but even that was very gelatin like.

For those that have used irish moss, should I consider this normal?

I have transferred to secondary and began the lagering. I always taste from one stage to another and so far everything seems normal. But that stuff sure looked nasty.

I just had the same thing happen. First time using irish moss, normally use whirfloc tabs but lhbs was out. Alot of floating trub and gelatin like stuff that normally sinks to the bottom. I was wondering if that was normal too. Lhbs said it was normal. I wont use it again, to hard to siphon and not get alot in the keg.
Jim

I've resisted using Whirfloc or other yeast flocculation stimulus with lagers because so much of the yeast settles during the lagering anyway. I still bottle so I need some active yeast for the conditioning. I guess I'll see what the result of the irish moss is when I pop the cap on the first bottle.

All the more reason to keg!

Never had this happen before. Irish Moss and everthing that clings to it should be left in the brewpot.

Back