Irish Moss - Extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grace1760

Reaction score
In researching Irish Moss on HBT, I've read that it's not really necessary for extract brewing; is this true? Even if one is steeping specialty grains**?

Also, what's the shelf life like for Irish Moss?

**As an aside, can someone please explain the difference between extract brewing with specialty grains vs. partial mash brewing? My best guess is that steeping specialty grains adds some flavor/color but not really adding much in terms of fermentables?

In researching Irish Moss on HBT, I've read that it's not really necessary for extract brewing; is this true? Even if one is steeping specialty grains**?

Also, what's the shelf life like for Irish Moss?

**As an aside, can someone please explain the difference between extract brewing with specialty grains vs. partial mash brewing? My best guess is that steeping specialty grains adds some flavor/color but not really adding much in terms of fermentables?

Irish moss is a fining agent...yeast and proteins cause a cloudy beer, so it all depends on the kind of beer you brew and your process for storage/serving. A lot of beer can be cleared up by keeping it in your primary for 3 weeks...2 for fermentation and 1 for conditioning, additionally cold crashing will clear beers as well.

Sorry forgot to answer this part...I have kept Irish Moss in my refrigerator for 6 months with no issue.

That's pretty much it. When you do a partial mash, you're actually mashing your grains just like you would doing an all-grain batch, but you're supplementing the gravity with extract.

You can steep with just a pot and a grain bag, but to partial mash you need some way of reliably holding the wort in the 145-159 degree range for 30-60 minutes. I used to mix the grains and water in the kettle without a bag, stick the kettle in the oven at 150 degrees for an hour, use the grain bag to filter out the grains from the wort, then to sparge, stick the bag in the remaining water while it's heating.

Right. But since proteins and yeast exist even in extract brewing, I'm confused as to why I've read that Irish Moss is not necessary or helpful with extract brewing?

Because IMO there is less trub and break in extract due to extracts have been processed twice (once when they make it and once when you boil it). Irish moss doesn't hurt anything and its cheap so why not use it.

Right. But since proteins and yeast exist even in extract brewing, I'm confused as to why I've read that Irish Moss is not necessary or helpful with extract brewing?

Im not sure that Irish Moss wouldnt be needed in all extract/partial mash kits...because it really depends on the kind of the beer and the process you take to ferment and store it. Having said that, you can use it without causing harm to any beer...I rarely use it because I condition my beer and cold crash it, so no haze in my beer unless I brew a hef.

Because IMO there is less trub and break in extract due to extracts have been processed twice (once when they make it and once when you boil it). Irish moss doesn't hurt anything and its cheap so why not use it.

OK, this all makes sense. I'll probably pick some up since it's so cheap and experiment with beer clarify with/without using it, and also with extra time in primary. Thanks.

a couple months ago brew your own magazine did a very interesting article on this. a side by side experiment. im sure its on byo.com

I've been using the ale yeast that came with the cooper's cans I use as a base to add DME's,hops,& next time,steeping grains. As I currently understand it,mashing uses less water than steeping,long story short. And I noticed that Safale US-05 is a medium flocculation yeast,whereas the cooper's ale yeast has high flocculation. So,it seems that the US-05 might need a little help clearing well. My wife's is a Belgian white ale using US-05,so it'll be a little hazy. Mine is what I would call an extra pale ale at the moment,with the cooper's ale yeast re-hydrated. It's already cleared to a slight haze,just needs to mellow more. Maybe Wednesday. But,at 3-4 weeks bottle conditioning,it'll be crystal clear. Always is with that yeast. You just have to treat it right.

Back