irish moss and when to add?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fitz

Reaction score
my first batch was a pale ale.. doing it again for my third batch but with afew additions... read alot about irish moss being very good at clearing a beer, my first pale ale was extremly cloudy...would really like it abit clearer, read here irish moss would help alot, if so when do i add? any other sugestions on getting a clear beer?

The instructions on the bottle say to add at 15 min. to end of boil. The first batch I've used the Irish Moss in is in primary at this time so I can't really add how well it works yet. I secondary most of my brews in glass carboys for 2-4 weeks and most clear up nicely just doing that.

Add Irish moss in the last 10-15 minutes of boil. Also, consider cold conditioning your beer for a couple weeks. If you can't cold condition then you can use Polyclar or gelatin to greatly reduce chill haze.

I recently switched to Super Irish Moss, from 5 Star Chemical, and my beer has been extremely clear, even when racking to secondary. It is negatively charged, to bind better with the positively charged protein molecules. It is in powder form, and is added in the last 10 minutes of the boil.

i found info saying you should hydrate it first. so at abotu 30 minutes, I pull a few table spoons of hot wort from the kettle and add it to a pyrex dish with my tsp of irish moss.
at 15 minutes its turned to a jelly type substance, and it goes into the kettle.

my beers turn out awfully clear :)

Latest posts

Back