Irish Moss Amounts for Batches Less Than 5 Gallons

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stephenbp

Reaction score
I have been search for the proper amount of irish moss for batches less than 5 gallons. The consensus is 1 teaspoon for every 5 gallons. I usually make small batches 2 to 3 gallons and I haven't found what is the proper amount of irish moss to use. For batches less than 5 gallons, what is the correct amount of irish moss to use?

1 teaspoon shouldn't hurt anything but you can probably use about 1/2 teaspoon.

I've tried 1/2 teaspoon for my last two 3-ish gallon batches, and it hasn't seemed to help much. I went with clarity ferm on my next two. Too early for results, though.

I prefer Protafloc (or Whirlfloc in US). The exact amount should be based on experience (chill haze) and it can be scaled according to volume. So if 5 units is enough for 5gal 1 unit is enough for 1 gal. Simple as that. The package will guide you with the amount but you may want to adjust a little bit.

"Over dosing" Irish moss isn't a problem I would think, but too much whirlfloc/protafloc might be, since it (allegedly) contains some baking soda.

Back