Irish Coffin Box - Portable

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrbowenz

Reaction score
I have been doing a fair amount of beer festivals lately and needed a tap box to serve from. In the past I was simply using a cobra style dispenser and often filling pitchers from the keg. I also wanted to have a bit more class, as I am often serving alongside professional brewers who have nice looking boxes in which to serve. My requirements included at least 4 taps, portable, light weight and something that had my name/ brand on it.

I drew up some dimensions and came up with this Irish Coffin Box, here some pictures of the quick and easy build:

I started with some 3/8" "Birch plywood"
HammerSmithIrishBox2010002.jpg

To cover the ugly ends of the plywood, I used some iron-on banding , also made of birch
HammerSmithIrishBox2010005.jpg

HammerSmithIrishBox2010008.jpg

trimming off the excess with a razor blade:
HammerSmithIrishBox2010010.jpg

In the theme of keeping this box light, I used some simple pressure treated frame pieces:
HammerSmithIrishBox2010011.jpg

Here's a shot of the corner bracing, glued and nailed for strength:
HammerSmithIrishBox2010012.jpg

Then I added some molding to the top collar and footings here:
HammerSmithIrishBox2010014.jpg

HammerSmithIrishBox2010015.jpg

HammerSmithIrishBox2010017.jpg

Pretty plain still , I added from fancier molding to add more depth and character:
HammerSmithIrishBox2010018.jpg

HammerSmithIrishBox2010019.jpg

Now for a finish, to set the birch apart from the molding , I first tapped off the surface:
HammerSmithIrishBox2010026.jpg

A finish I like is called "french polishing" , which is several layers of 3lb shellac cut with denatured alcohol and using a figure eight pattern, it adds depth and clarity to any natural grain patterns. It's a very old style technique for finishing furniture.
HammerSmithIrishBox2010028.jpg

To highlight the wood, I painted the molding black:
HammerSmithIrishBox2010038.jpg

I added my brewery name from some cut-out letters obtained at a craft store, these are cheap and time saving:
HammerSmithIrishBox2010054.jpg

French Polish by itself isn't really waterproof, but adds a great under-finish, I then coated the whole box with PolyU, spilling beer on this box is a given, the poly adds much protection to the project:
HammerSmithIrishBox2010060.jpg

Lastly, I added my four taps and finished the box:
HammerSmithIrishBox2010065.jpg

HammerSmithIrishBox2010070.jpg

Got to use it this past weekend and it worked very well , light , strong and decent looking.

wow man, that is so awesome. Would you care to share the plans? I am building a bar, and want to do something like this for my taps.

great craftsmanship. Getting ready to construct a coffin myself; I'll use this post as a great resource.

how about putting a cooler inside so it can act like a jockey box.

Or install some insulation on the inside, then fiberglass over it to essentially make it a cooler. that would be the classiest jockey box ive ever seen.

Back