iPod Rant...............

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beermaker

The NAVY WALRUS
Reaction score
This god damn iPod is starting to piss me off. I mailed iTunes for help on how to import my own purchased DVD into the movie section to watch. They wrote me back and said it was not allowed because the DVD is copyrighted against uploading and syncing into my iPod. But, (and this is what pissed me off)....They said I could buy the movie from them, download it and sync it. Whats the mother freakin difference? So now I would have 2 copies.
angry.gif
angry.gif
angry.gif
angry.gif
A copyright protects the DVD people from me buying a DVD and burning copies for resale, not my own personnal use, whatever it may be. F**k!

Does anyone know of a way to load my own DVD onto my ipod?

That seems to violate the 'fair use' laws. Can't help you with your problem, but thanks for the head's up with regards to iPod's policies. I've been thinking about picking one up since my 20G Dell died. They aren't getting any converts with this kind of crap.

There have to be apps to rip DVD to your computer, then convert to the mp4 format. I'm pretty sure that's what the iPod video runs. I'd google it :mug:

Do you use MAC or PC? I believe Handbrake for MAC will do this. There are ones out there that are free but might require a bit more work than the ones you have to pay for.

You might try a search at http://forums.macrumors.com I am sure that information is there.

Jester369 said:
There have to be apps to rip DVD to your computer, then convert to the mp4 format. I'm pretty sure that's what the iPod video runs. I'd google it :mug:

as Jester said... get a program to rip/decode your DVD's to iPods mp4 format.

For the Mac you can use:

1. DVD2Pod
2. HandBrake
3. Instant Handbrake
4. iSquint

I use a couple programs....dvd decoder and ipod converter. Works like a charm. You rip the DVD to a certain file type, then convert it to mp4.

Yeah, DRM suxxorz, for this reason especially. I honestly don't see the difference between me ripping a DVD I have legally purchased (not allowed by iTunes), and me ripping a music CD I have legally purchased (allowed by itunes). But, then DRM , the MPAA and the RIAA are all big sacks of sh*t anyway, so a rational being cannot begin to comprehend their idiocy...

Use DVDShrink to decode the DVD first, then Nero Recode to fit it to the ipod. Works like a charm.

EdWort said:
Use DVDShrink to decode the DVD first, then Nero Recode to fit it to the ipod. Works like a charm.

I've been using this and it works ~90% of the time, some newer discs it just stops at the beggining( I'm assuming they have better copyright protection on those discs). Does it work with every disc for you? Any problems?

landhoney said:
I've been using this and it works ~90% of the time, some newer discs it just stops at the beggining( I'm assuming they have better copyright protection on those discs). Does it work with every disc for you? Any problems?
DVD Shrink does not work for me with Sony discs.

SlySoft's AnyDVD is an awesome decrypting utility for Windows.

Drunkensatyr said:
Time for linux :)
On Linux, I use K3b and DVD Decrypter (via Wine). To use K3b effectively, be sure to install the libcss libraries. I've only had one disc fail to copy correctly, and I think it was due to a big scratch.

I don't know about iPod compatibility under Linux because I haven't tried it yet. The Amarok music organizer appears to have iPod functionality built into it.

I use Avex DVD to ipod suite... I have been using this for about 6 months now and have not had one problem converting dvds (converted about 30 dvds)... these have been original dvds and burned dvds... good luck

http://www.avex-dvd.com/

I've been using Cucusoft iPod Video Converter Suite. Haven't had any problems with it yet, but I've only used it a few times so far. Pretty easy to use too.

Back