IPL anyone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CrookedElbowBrewing

Reaction score
Has anyone tried Jack’s Abby Kiwi Rising?
I’ve never brewed a lager but this one intrigues me. I was even interested in something along the lines of their RIPL effect even though it didn't rate off the charts.
I haven’t tried too many IPLs. One was Sudwerks Big DIPL which I found enjoyable. It seems like lagers focus on subtle, “clean” malt flavors, whereas the IPA approach is definitely more hop focused and the malt bill plays a more supporting role.
I’ve made IPAs with London III, Juice, Barbarian, S-33, S-04, Kvieking and US-05. The US 05 had the least estery profile from the yeast with a very clean finish.
If the hops are playing the dominant role is the subtle lager like malt profile a waste of time?
From the lack of posts I’m wondering why IPLs aren’t as popular? Is it just the cooler fermentation requirements?
It looks like many brewers have had success with quick/warmer lager ferments so I don’t think it’s a process limitation.

It’s the turn around time and the energy efficiency requirement. Last figure I saw was it Cost breweries 20-35% more to produce a lagers than equivalent ales (a lot of this was the turn around time). Also a lot of the flavor is ester and mouthfeel driven, and with lager yeast it just can’t replicate the NEIPA style exactly. That’s said, I love a great IPL

as a homebrewer with temp control it should be no issue. Take your favorite NEIPA recipe, reduce the hoping totals by 10-20% and use 34/70. That’s really all there is to it.

Two schools of thought on IPL:

1. Take regular IPA recipe, use lager yeast.

2. Take Pils recipe, maybe scale up gravity slightly, dry hop the crap out of it.

I'm far more partial to the latter.

Back