iPhone WTF

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ksbrain

Reaction score
Wifey wanted me to update her iPhone to the latest OS today. I am so glad I have an Android. I got started at 8AM today and after backing up a few times and downloading then installing the update and now restoring a few times, it's still going on. This is so stupid. When my phone got a new OS it was an over the air update that took about as long as it takes me to drive to the end of my street. But the damn iPhone takes literally all day to update.

Sure if she ever synched it with the PC before, it could have been quicker, but this is ridiculous. It seems like Apple is so afraid their OS update will trash the phone they've got to back it up ten times before installing.

Rant over. Back to babysitting the iPhone OS update. This better be worth it. Imagine if after all this she lost all her settings and everything!

I updated mine over the air (you can since iOS 5 I think) and it was a cinch, 10 minutes tops like the others said. Sounds like something is wrong with the phone

I just timed it. iPhone 3GS on a 3G connection w/ 3 bars service updated iOS 5.1.1 in 8 minutes. I'm curious why you have to update her phone, there is nothing to it just press update button and it's done? Is the phone updating to iOS 5 perhaps? That one took a while but it was a completely new operating system; every one since then has been a snap.

It seemed like it had to backup several times and then synch several times and also restore several times. I've never used iTunes before so maybe I did some unnecessary steps in there. Apple is supposed to be so easy I figured it would tell me the best thing to do.

I guess it was a lot of data with hundreds of photos it needlessly moved around several times and dozens of apps that had to be backed up and then restored. Maybe it was from 4.x to 5.x so that was a bigger deal. She never has hooked it up to the computer, so that was part of it too. And I'm sure it would work better with a Mac.

And I must also admit that her phone never crashes and her battery life is WAY better than mine. But I was seriously loving Android yesterday.

Horace said:
Whatever you say . . .

He said he did the latest update (which is 5.1.1); he didn't need a PC for that. Now if he was updating from iOS 4.x to 5.0 that's another story; but that isnt what he said. How did you do your latest update?

Back