Ipa ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clemson55

Reaction score
When you guys make a double IPA or a really hoppy regular IPA what sort of IBU's do you end up at? I brewed a double IPA yesterday and I just used to tastybrew to get an idea of what to expect on gravity and ibu's and such and it told me I was clocking in at 97 IBU's. That sounds pretty high but I dont know the IBU's of any of my favorite IPA's off the top of my head so I'm not sure. So how high do you get or how high are some of the better known IPA's like DFH 60 or 90 minute.

Well, in my experience, IBUs are not really a good way to judge good IPAs. While it might be accurate for the bittering additions, many of the hops additions are more for flavor and aroma. I think my DFH 60 clone is 57 or so IBUs according to Beersmith. However, I do that bittering addition a bit differently, by adding pellets a few at a time and scattering the times, so that it probably really isn't that many IBUs in actuality. The key is balance, so I try to balance the malt and hops at first, to get the good "base" and then add the hops I want to tilt that balance, then go crazy with flavor and aroma additions and dryhopping.

Take a look at my DFH 60 minute clone to see what I mean- it's very hoppy. But it's not really that bitter.

I have never had a beer I thought was to hoppy or to bitter from the hops. Thats why I added 2 extra 1oz additions in the boil and I have 2 ounces to dry hop with as well. I want it really hoppy. Just wondered how that # compared. I like Victory's Hop Wallop a lot as far as the hop flavor and all but I didnt see any IBU listing on the bottle.

dude - try yoopers DFH 60 clone recipie - it's great - my best beer yet

Back